Chapter Thirty

It was seven o'clock in the morning in the ward. There was nobody except the patient in the ward. The clock struck seven and the patient's fingers moved very slightly.

Her eyelids twitched and fluttered open, like a butterfly spreading its wings. Yuri sat up very slowly. The last time she was conscious, she coughed blood and couldn't breathe.

However, her breath is back now. She got up slowly and walked along the hallway. For some reason, she was glad of the eerie silence and peacefulness. The hallways were empty and Yuri went down to the beach. She bent down before the rock she had sat together with Thomas and took out a piece of chalk.

Yuri wrote the words very slowly as her hand shook from weakness, "Yuri and Thomas Forever." Then, she sat down on the rock to gaze at the churning ocean.

"Dr. Brown, where is Yuri?" Thomas demanded.

The doctor turned, startled. "She's not in the ward?"

"No, I went to the ward but it was empty." Thomas replied as he began to panic.

He turned to search for Yuri again but Dr. Brown grabbed his arm.

"She truly loves you." The doctor said.
"You never knew how much. That time you got shot, it was she who gave you part of her liver. Even though she knew that if she did so, her life span will shorten. She saved you, not me. Go find her."

Thomas swung free of the doctor looking shocked. It was Yuri who had saved him. If it wasn't for Yuri, he would be dead. If it wasn't for him, Yuri would be able to live longer today. It was his fault.

Thomas bolted out the hospital gates towards the beach, where he assumed she was. He was right. Far away seated on a rock, there was a figure in blue. He ran up to her but froze as he was three feet away.

She turned and gazed back at him. They stared at each other for a moment and then Thomas, for the first time in his life, started to cry. He ran up and hugged Yuri. He kissed her cheek and her forehead. The tears he had been holding back his whole life spilled.