Chapter Twenty Nine

The door to the ward opened and Emily stepped in. She was crying as well.

"You called Thomas, Emily. Thank you." Yuri said through her sobs.
Emily nodded and hugged Yuri hesitantly.

"I'm so sorry!" she whispered.

Yuri hugged her back. "Emily, I'm so scared. I don't want to have the operation. I don't want to!"

Emily held Yuri's head gently.
"Yuri, be brave. Not for me. Not for Thomas, but for yourself." She encouraged.

Both girls wept to drown their sorrows. Neither knew how long they wept but it made them both feel better.

"Thomas, Mrs. Kwon, Emily, Yuri's conditions has worsened." Dr. Brown said. "There is no hope. She can't have the operation anymore. We have arranged for your last visits." He walked away to his office.

Mrs. Kwon fell back onto the bench with tears flooding down her cheeks. Emily gasped and Thomas shook his head before turning on his heels and racing out of the hospital. He ran with all his might until he stumbled and couldn't run anymore. He put his hands on the fountain in front of him and stared at his reflection. They were so close to extending Yuri's life span. Now, she is going to die. He could not keep his promise and be with her forever. Thomas threw back his head and shot off into the December night sky.

Mrs. Kwon and Emily sat by Yuri's bedside. The air was filled with misery as even the weather was mourning. The wind howled and it began to rain.

"Yuri, please wake up," Mrs. Kowan sobbed.

"Mother is sorry. I owe you so much. I wasn't able to protect you, just like I couldn't protect Simon and you father. Why am I so useless..."

"Mrs. Kwon, I beg you to stop being this way." Emily said.

"Yuri doesn't need us to sob over her right now. She needs encouragement."
"You're right, Emily." Mrs. Kwon said.
She turned back to Yuri.

"Yuri, look at all who love you so much. Look around. Open your eyes, sit up, and look around. We all love you so much, please wake up!"

Despite all their talk, Yuri remained motionless and lifeless.