Chapter 02

Xu Chang An's mother was a descendent from Yang Family in Feng Province, an old prominent family from generation to generation, and was well-known in the local area. When Xu mother unexpectedly got acquainted with Xu YongNian in the past, regardless of family opposition, she insisted on marrying Xu YongNian. The daughter persisted in marrying, the family had no other way than let her. However, as a result, Yang family was discontented with this marriage and did not care for it. Even after the daughter got married, afterwards, on the day of the bride's first visit to her parental home, she did not return. The daughter was married and moved into the bridegroom's home, thereupon the contact was cut off.

Perhaps if one had known earlier at home, thinking of that time when Xu mother was getting married, her mother had prepared a rich and generous dowry for her. Not to mention an ordinary household, even if to get married to a rich and noble household, that dowry was enough to take care of and completely worth to make Xu mother be set for her entire lifetime being wealthy and high rank.

Looking through mother's dowry list, Xu Chang An knew that there were some of the things listed were not going to come back to him, but there was not one single item he would leave to the Xu family.

"Momo, I have something to discuss with my father. Please go and ask him to come over." In the ordinary course of events, whenever a son wanted to ask for a father to discuss things, he had to go in person, but Xu Chang An did not. He just wanted to be in the room where his mother had lived during her lifetime. In order to control his father's desire of his mother's things, he wanted to know to what extent his father could harden his heart.

Regarding Xu Chang An's instructions, Yang Momo did not usually ask the reason. In anyway, the master told her to do it.

Soon, Yang Momo and Xu YongNian came together. Xu YongNian's face was not looking good. Xu Chang An did not ask, directly and simply said: "Father, the day of my wedding with the First Prince is approaching near, so I made you come here to discuss the matter of my dowry."

Regardless of men and women, as long as they marry, the family should have provide the dowry, which was no one can say wrong.

"This is sure thing." The dowry matter, if it were not mentioned by Xu Chang An, Xu father would try to feign ignorance, went through the motions until it settled and passed. In any case, this son marriage was destined to be treated with a cold shoulder. So, giving some of random dowry was already good enough.

"Father, my idea is like this. I know father's official's salary is not much and there are lot of family members at home so there are a lot of extra expenses. Even if I want to marry but I am also Xu family member, I have to think about the people at home. How about this, father at will let me prepare for something is already fine. My mother's portion of dowry will make do for my dowry." Xu mother had Chang An as her only son. Xu mother's dowry was Chang An's to be inherited. A married woman's dowry, the husband's family did not have the right to dispose of it. During her lifetime, she managed to set aside for her own children after her death. If there was no children, someone from her parental family would come and took it back.

When Xu Chang An words dropped, Xu father's calm and composed face soon darken. At the beginning of the conversation, he was still hugging himself with pleasure. Thought nothing of this youngster but who knew that this youngster had black heart, making little of Xu Family's things and was waiting to take the lion's share ah!

"Don't think it is possible!" Without Yang Shi's dowry support, solely just relying on his own small official's salary, how can he afford to provide for the large amount of people in Xu household!

*Yang Shi = Xu mother maiden name is Yang

"What did father's words mean? Mother had already passed away. You won't give me mother's dowry, could it be that you want to put it down for Xu Family? We in the Great Xiao Dynasty had no such custom like this." Sneering in his heart, Xu Chang An spared the least bit of face intended to give this 'good' father. Regardless, Xu Yongnian was still standing and Xu Chang An himself sat down. He took out the dowry excerpts from his sleeve, unfold it and handed it over to Xu Yongnian, so it would be better for him(XYN) to hastily made an inventory of all the things.