Chapter 14

After Xiao Qing Yan's two Cefei walked away, Xu Chang An called his two imperial bodyguards out to practice riding. Meanwhile in the Inner Palace, Xiao Qing Yan was called to Chang Sheng Palace¹ by the emperor for no reason.

¹长生殿 = Longevity Palace

Chang Sheng Palace was a consecrated palace for the late Empress's spirit tablet. He was called here by the emperor, but the emperor himself had never appeared. Xiao Qing Yan really could not figure out what his Imperial father wanted to do.

The emperor never appeared. Xiao Qing Yan could not leave without permission. He could only left abruptly to his late mother's spirit tablet, kneeling there, mouth whispering all the memories from childhood to reminisce with his mother.

Meanwhile, the emperor inside Taiji Palace², his whole person was draped in the imperial yellow robe directly facing the pile of memorials in worries. This year could be said to be the year his Xiao Family's Dynasty be dogged with bad luck. From the beginning of the year, the northern side began the chaos war, the national treasury began to be in short supply. As it happened, there was a great drought in Jiangnan³. The grain production was reduced by 30%. If the battle continued next year, the days of the people.......

²太极殿 = Supreme Ultimate Palace
³江南 = South River

"Reporting to Your Imperial Majesty, His Highness XianWang is still in Chang Sheng Palace, and now kneeling in front of Huiren⁴ Empress's bier."

⁴慧仁 = bright//benevolence

"Yesterday Xian Wang received imperial concubines, and this is the second day. When it's 4th earthly branch period (5-7 a.m) you go to Chang Sheng Palace, let Xian Wang return home." Xian Wang truly stayed in the imperial palace per his instruction, the emperor did not forget this. He was only.......only this son was making him a little disappointed, that's all.

"Right, Xian Wang two Cefei's fathers are senior officials of the imperial government. In a moment, you personally go to Xian Wang Residence, Zhen have a reward to bestow the two Cefei. You accompany Xian Wang return home together to pass over the imperial decree."

"Your humble slave obey Your Imperial Majesty's command."

The matter of Xiao Qing Yan being left out cold without a rhyme or reason by the emperor in Chang Sheng Palace very quickly already spread to the succeeding Empress's place. Nowadays, the Empress had another matter to worry about, as a matter of fact she did not have leisure to fuss about this small matter.

"Father, what do you think of His Majesty's meaning? Bestowed Xian Wang a male wife, yet again brought the minister's and deputy minister's daughters to even become that youngster's Cefei. Though a long time ago the two Daren crossed over to father's side, but their daughters are now Xian Wang Cefei. You say... Will they still have a complete devotion to Second Prince?" The Empress's fear was far more than that. Although her Second Prince had not yet of age, but Xiao Qing Yan had attending the imperial court assembly at sixteen. Now Second Prince was already nineteen, but yet the emperor did not reason the coming of age, sent him away to the unnoticeable corner, even imperial court did not needed to attend.

"Why do Niangniang need to worry? Anyway, Xian Wang already had no qualification to succeed the throne, not be worth to fear. Now Niangniang ought to worry about not Xian Wang, rather Zhou Guifei who is against you in this imperial harem, also Jing Wang who has constantly established outstanding military service —it's only right ah." Since the emperor bestowed Xiao Qing Yan a male wife, Duke Lin Guo had long since not caring about Xiao Qing Yan. At present, he was most worried about was Jing Wang. Now the imperial court had already divided into two major factions; supporting Jing Wang's hereditary house of military general and his own meritorious noble family which supported Second Prince. As for the uncontaminated group faction... Humph! Xian Wang whom they supported had been detested and rejected by the emperor. Now each and everyone was indecisive, just like a person who goes whichever way the wind blows! Humph!