I See You

Sueko and I ride in the makeshift cart that was made for us. Several futons and lots of blankets and pillows help make the whole thing feel more comfortable. For awhile we don't talk much. She asked if she could braid my hair and I let her play with my hair. Her fingers pulling through my hair reminds me of our childhood, the way all of us would play with each other's hair, testing out whatever hairstyles we could dream up.

"Rina— What was he like?" Her voice is soft and careful.

"Who?" I turn to see her curious face.

"Nobunaga. I asked the men and they just speak about what a great leader and fighter he was... but I don't feel like I know him from that... It's okay if you aren't ready to talk about him though... Sorry..." He face falls to her lap.

I awkwardly turn around and need a minute to catch my breath afterwards. "He was beautiful. Full of passion, creativity, and yes, he was a very good fighter, but he also cared deeply for his men."

"He sounds wonderful Rina. I'm sorry I never got a chance to know him better." She smiles again now. "I think you are so blessed. Both of your husbands are deeper than their positions."

I lift an eyebrow. "Speaking of husbands..." Her cheeks immediately redden and spread to over her face as I continue. "You do realize you have three of them fixated on you, which is amazing considering you condition..." I look down to her stomach that is hardly swollen at all.

She laughs and tilts her head, cheeks still pink. "Oh Rina, I don't know what I am going to do!" Her head falls back in a mock whine.

I laugh. "Do you return any of their affection?"

She takes a deep breath with her head still fallen back. "I return affection for all of them..." Her head comes forward and looks at me with wide puppy dog eyes. "But I do treasure one of them above the rest..." Oh please Mitsunari, out fo the three of them I find him the most agreeable. She smiles. "I feel like he stole my heart the moment he swooped into the brothel." Okay great, so it's not Ieyasu, I will worry about finding him a suitable match. Her voice is a whisper, as if she is afraid the man she speaks of is near enough to hear her say his name and my heart stutters. "I think I am in love with Masamune Date."

I choke on a drink that doesn't exist and am quickly thrown into a fit of coughing. She brings me some water to drink and as I do I eye her embarrassment. Once I have swallowed and take a steadying breath I do my best to hide any rejection I have to the idea of my sensei with my youngest sister. Remembering the look he gave her in the brothel and the way he stands guard for her makes it easier. "What about him over the others?"

She sighs in relief, probably thinking I would try to crush the idea from her mind and she begins to spill out her feelings like an overflowing cup of sake. "He carried me the entire way back to the base camp, and when I stirred he gently pressed his lips to my forehead... the way Papa used to when we were little and scared of a storm. You know he sat outside my tent every day? All because he said he would when I was still barely conscious. The few times he did visit me it was when the other two had to leave, and I asked him to share story about himself to distract me from how much pain my body is in, to make me boil over with laughter, and he never failed to make me forget about how much the wounds itch ad hurt as they heal. He asked me what I wanted to do with the baby once it was born like you did and when I gave him my answer, oh Rina, I think that's when he truly stole my affection, his response was that he hoped to be able to thank my child as well and that he would feel so lucky if his future children had a mother like me."

"Okay— okay— stop. I need time to adjust to the way you perceive him." I chuckle my words.

Her brows knit together and he entire face tilts to one side. "You perceive him differently? I feel like I've seen the real him. Not the mask of fearless warlord and carefree flirt, but the real him who just wants a family to come home to and treasure."