Devotion

The sun had been down for awhile when I heard footsteps approaching and muffled voices at the door. I didn't go to see who it was, I stayed on the balcony, continuing to watch the shadowy figures of soldiers and staff darting here and there.

Gentle steps approached me. I knew instantly it wasn't Nobunaga, he would have come in more forcefully and approached faster. Hideyoshi found me, resting my elbows on the railing. "Rina—" he approached carefully with his hand until he found my shoulder.

I stood and brushed his hand away. "When do we leave?"

"Nobunaga and I head north tomorrow." His amber eyes are a mixture of concern, fear, and sadness.

"I'm coming with you." I stated as firm as his leader would.

"No." He looked out now at the business below. "It's too—"

"Risky." I interrupt with a growl. "I've been to war with you before and—"

"And you were kidnapped by the man we are going to war with again." His words were tense and his eyes were stern.

"It won't happen again." I stated simply.

"What if you're— " he looked unsure of how to continue as he looked down at my abdomen.

"If I discover I'm with child while we are out I will return to Azuchi but until that is confirmed there is absolutely no way I can stay here." My voice had raised enough neither of us heard Nobunaga enter so when he spoke from behind us we jumped. "I keep telling you, her stubbornness rivals yours thanks to her passion that matches mine."

Hideyoshi shook his head. "You sound like you're going to allow her to come with us." He scoffed when Nobunaga lifted his shoulders as he spoke. "She's my lucky phoenix." The concerned lover huffed. "The two of you are impossible." And with that he stomped off towards the door.

"Wait!" I yelled as I lunged after him and grabbed his arm. He did not turn to me. "Don't leave like this. Not when it's avoidable."

Nobunaga walked past me and faced Hideyoshi. He cupped the worried man's face in his hands and pulled their faces close. "I know you're worried."

Hideyoshi grabbed his wrists. "You still haven't told her about the letter Nobunaga."

Nobunaga released his face and the both turned their attention to me. Hideyoshi still had my hand as he spoke "Let's sit."

"Just tell me. I don't need to sit." I demanded.

Nobunaga came to me. "I will tell you what is in the letter when you sit down." His eyes were steady. I sat at our table, Hideyoshi sat beside me, looking concerned with his golden eyes carefully watching me. Nobunaga took his seat in front of is, I could see he was already hardening himself for the war ahead. "Kenshin's letter was to congratulate us on our marriage, to announce that he was going to war against us, and to tell you that he has left a gift for us with your family."

My throat tightened and my stomach began to twist. My village is a three days ride from here, nestled between Azuchi and the North territories. The lump in my throat was making it difficult to remember to breath. I can only imagine what kind of gift the Dragon of Echigo has left for us, and my imaginings are horrific. The thought of him touching my people, my father, my mother, and my sisters burns that knot in my throat, replacing it with something so hot it almost feels like ice. The images of my village from my dream flash in my mind again. "What else do we know about my village?" I ask steadily.

Nobunaga's eyes shifted to Hideyoshi when he spoke. "I told you, our Phoenix rises to these things." Hideyoshi huffed again, the worry never leaving his face.