XVII

"We're here!" His voice carried a teasing note, as if even he was unsure. Alex stepped around to my side of the car, opening the door for me with an easy grace that only seemed to make my pulse quicken.

I stepped out, blinking at the scene before me. It wasn't a restaurant or a casual spot like I'd imagined. Instead, it was a custom-made setup—beautiful, elegant, and breathtaking. A private dinner under the stars, with the gentle sound of waves lapping against the shore, adding to the surreal atmosphere. The beach stretched out before us, moonlight shimmering on the water like something out of a dream

 The beach stretched out before us, moonlight shimmering on the water like something out of a dream

"Isn't this a bit... too much for just a normal dinner?" I mumbled, trying to steady the rush of emotions building in my chest.

"Neither the dress nor I mentioned that this was going to be a 'normal' dinner," he replied, his eyes glinting mischievously.

"What are you afraid of, vampire guy?" he teased, one eyebrow arched as he closed the door behind me.

"Well, vampire guy's name is Austin, and might I remind you that I have a boyfriend, so this feels more than a little... extra for a casual dinner between friends." I threw the words out, trying to sound sarcastic, but my heartbeat betrayed me.

His smirk deepened, and his eyes, dark and knowing, locked onto mine. "No, you don't," he said, voice low. "Stop pretending. And aren't you a little too loyal to someone who's not even real?"

My wolf, Daeliah, stirred, amused yet oddly content. "He's not wrong."

"We are not friends. We can never be friends," Alex continued, his voice dropping into that deeper, more intimate tone that sent shivers through me. "Every goal has a goalkeeper, but that doesn't mean you can't score, little wolf. And I've had my eye on you since the moment I saw you. Boyfriend or not, you're mine, and I don't care where or who you run to. In the end, you'll end up with me."

His words curled around me like a warm, possessive embrace. Before I could react, his hand slid into mine, his fingers intertwining with mine as he led me forward. I could feel the heat radiating from his touch, his words echoing in my head. Mine. How was I supposed to resist that?

"Let's go, the food's getting cold," he said casually, as if the fire burning between us didn't exist.

We walked hand-in-hand, and for a moment, I allowed myself to imagine this could be forever—a hidden world where only we existed. A small smile crept onto my lips, my heart betraying me.

We sat across from each other at a beautifully set table, and for once, I let myself enjoy the moment. "So, miss, what would you like to have tonight?" Alex asked, mocking a waiter's tone with a playful grin.

"What's the best thing on your menu?" I shot back, trying to match his mood.

His eyes sparkled with mischief. "The best thing on the menu isn't available tonight."

I gave him a confused look. "And what's that?"

"Me." His smirk widened as he leaned back slightly, watching for my reaction. "You can have me, but not just yet. I'm saving myself for a special occasion."

I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks, heat pooling in my chest. Damn, does he have any idea what he's doing to me?

"Just give me whatever you have, then," I replied, struggling to keep my voice steady.

He laughed softly, standing up to fetch our food. He returned with a beautiful dish—lemon cream pasta with a side salad. My stomach growled, betraying my hunger as I dug in immediately.

I glanced up mid-bite to find him watching me, amusement and something deeper in his gaze. His eyes, that deep, haunting gray, were fixed on mine, pulling me in like a magnet.

"You should eat before I finish yours too," I joked, trying to break the intensity of the moment.

He chuckled and lifted his fork, offering me a bite from his plate. "Here, have some."

I smiled, accepting the gesture, though my heart raced at the closeness between us. We ate, we laughed, and for a while, it felt like nothing else mattered.

Then, as if reading my mind, Alex stood and pulled out his phone. A soft, slow song played through the speakers he'd set up. He turned to me, holding out his hand. "May I have this dance?"

My heart skipped. "I... I don't really know how to dance," I stammered.

He gave me that heart-stopping smile of his. "Just follow my lead. Dance with me, pretend like the world doesn't exist."

His words felt like a promise. I placed my hand in his, and he pulled me close, one hand resting on my waist as we began to move in sync with the music. My arms wrapped around his neck instinctively, and I was lost in the rhythm, in the closeness of him. His breath brushed my face, our lips so close I could feel the temptation.

His eyes dropped to my lips, and I closed my eyes, waiting for the kiss I knew was coming.

But it didn't. When I opened my eyes, he was still watching me with that same infuriating smirk. "What were you thinking just now?"

Embarrassment rushed through me, and I shoved him back, trying to escape the moment. "Ugh, you're impossible!" I muttered, walking toward the car.

Before I could take two steps, his hand shot out, grabbing mine, and he pulled me back against him. One hand cupped my cheek as he leaned in, his lips inches from mine. His breath was hot on my skin, and my heart pounded so loudly I was sure he could hear it.

"Please..." he whispered, his voice almost a plea. "Don't kill me for this."

Then, he kissed me. Soft, gentle, but so intense it felt like my world was tilting on its axis. His lips were warm, tender, moving against mine with a slowness that made my knees weak. His hands gripped my hips, pulling me closer, and I melted into him, the heat between us igniting like wildfire.

He kissed me deeper, moving to my jaw, leaving soft, wet kisses down to my neck. When his canines brushed against my skin, a warning shot through me.

Panic gripped me, and I pushed him away, breathless and trembling. "I... I can't. I'm sorry." My voice broke, and I backed away, trying to hold myself together.

His eyes were wide, filled with confusion and hurt. "Wait—"

But I couldn't. I ran, slipping off my heels as I fled into the woods. How could I have been so careless? How could I have let him get so close? If he had marked me, the magic I had used to hide the mate bond would've shattered.

I stopped only when I was sure he wasn't following me, leaning against a tree to catch my breath. My dress was torn, my mind a whirlwind of emotions. Then, the stench of rogues hit the air, and Daeliah growled.

Just when I thought the night couldn't get worse...

Rogues.

---------------------

* Author's Note :  please vote and comment if you like this chapter.  it will just take a second. :) . your support means a lot *