chapter 8

Immediately Nikki got down from the elevator, she bumped into a pretty woman.

"Oh! I'm sorry," she apologized but the woman only gave her a benevolent smile and walked away without responding.

Just then, Nikki sighted a black purse on the floor, apparently, the woman had dropped it when Nikki bumped into her. Picking it up, she realized the woman was already out of sight, how could her legs be so fast?

Nikki decided to open it and all she could see was money and an I.D card that had Arireoluwa Adeboye as the owner's name.

"She somehow looks familiar," Nikki muttered to herself as she kept on staring at the I.D card trying to picture where she'd seen her before as she sauntered to Kemi's office.

Immediately, Kemi's office was in sight, Nikki saw her walk out of the office with the woman she'd bumped into earlier beaming with smiles, that made Nikki realize why she thought the woman was familiar, she was Kemi's mother and also the owner of SOIL restaurant; she had chains of restaurants all over the country, even the one in MAPLE was a branch of her restaurant.

Nikki smiled at this as happiness welled inside her, but the joy diminished when she saw Kemi walk into Lisha's office with her mother. Why on earth will they go to Lisha's office?

"Oh! To whom do I owe this pleasant visit," Lisha beamed as she stood up to welcome Soil who quickly enveloped her in a hug.

After swapping greetings, they all settled down and Kemi talked.

"Soil insisted on me bringing her to you, she actually came because of you and Mark."

"Most especially you," Soil added and Lisha smiled.

"Anyway, I have to take the lunch you brought to Mark," Kemi uttered as she got on her feet.

"Ensure he eats it oooo and extend my greetings to him, e ehn, don't tell Jimi I'm here ooo."

Kemi smiled as she nodded in accordance before exiting the room. She met Nikki on her way, after exchanging pleasantries, Nikki kept on wondering why her Mom didn't leave with her, Kemi left for her office while Nikki proceeded to Lisha's office, she wanted to know what was going on.

"You didn't have to stress yourself," Lisha said in response to Soil who had told her she specially prepared lunch for her and Mark.

"It wasn't any form of stress, you know, I enjoy cooking a lot and preparing a meal for my daughter-in-law is so much pleasure."

'If only she knew the truth' Lisha thought.

"Thanks a lot then."

"It's nothing, afterall, you're my daughter."

That word lit Lisha's face, no one had ever called her their daughter, she'd never been a daughter to anyone not even her Dad who cared less about her and Gran who neglected her most times, she remembered how she'd always yearn for the love of her parents but so far her Mom was dead, she could only wish for the love of her Dad, but he never loved her.

"Li baby," the voice of Soil brought her out of her trance and Lisha covered it with a smile.

"So, what's our lunch course?" Lisha inquired as she stood up to carry the lunch bag beside Soil.

"Hmmm, the aroma is killing and it says it all, I know that soup, it's atadudu(black pepper) abi?" Soil nodded as Lisha proceeded to open the big cooler.

"Wow, Ofada rice, I've been craving for this, you just know my taste," Lisha beamed as she placed the food on the centre table.

"I'm meant to know everything about my daughter right?" She ended it with a grin and Lisha nodded.