-13-

-Goa-

Her thoughts had taken her a long way and well, the "pup" that accompanied her was more than happy to wander around on the evening kissed streets unaware of the wandering her mind had taken. She broke off her thoughts and sighed looking at the cool breeze and clear sky.

"So, Mr. Pup, as that Dumbo would call you, what would you like to hear about me? Well, now that I don't seem to have an option or say either professionally or personally." She laughed as her foot rolled a little pebble down the walk-way.

"Kis ki kahani sunoge? Pichle ki ya unki jo piche chord gaye hi unki?" A low bark came from her friend and she smiled.

"Pata hi jab woh mila tha nah, sab ho gaya tha sab kuch khaab sa. Woh tha hi kuch esa khaab sa tha. Stars, fireflies, darkness- it was all so us, so mystic. He brought along so much but, then he just left like it was all a dream, ek khaab." A little softness rubbed besides her leg and she looked down to see him nuzzling itself. She smiled back and continued,

"It's okay. Khaab se toh sab uthte hena, ab jo hi kaam se kaam usko toh rakh sakte hi- mashwara uska, khaab mere, raah humari. It's okay- adatan sochenge ki agar yuhn na hota toh kya hota. Amma used to say that a lot, a lot to me, a lot to Appa.

Actually she said that once and then, it became our little thing. Our little thing that started with my little incidence. You know, I was in school that day I had my first performance ever on the stage. I was so scarred, so scarred. Amma was coming to see me, the teachers told me their were thousands of parents, the Principal- who never liked me, many unknown but prestigious people- so many and I was to ..." her voice trailed off into silence.

"Nandini! Nandini! Nandini!" a little voice of her only friend called her from the backstage. She tugged her away from her performance stage. "You have to save me, Murthy today! You have to."

"But, why?" Nandini frowned. Ayesha wasn't the best of her friends, a little forced due to parental acquaintances, a little selfish at times but then, she was her only friend too. "I-I mean to say what and how?" she stammered back at her words.

"You have to. I can't sing on that stage for the Annual Fest. You know, I can't sing on the stage. You know that that the mic would be on me this time and not you." Ayesha panicked and her hesitation cleared in Nandini's mind. Ayesha was a beautiful girl, known to the school for her great singing skills and thus, popularity and boys didn't shy away from her. She was the diva but then, there was a little secret that no one knew. Behind her was always Nandini's voice, behind the doors, crumbled behind the posters or the stage or through microphones- it was always Nandini's voice and that's why Nandini never sang in school but Ayesha always did only when she was around. It wasn't a great deal- Ayesha's voice was also melodious and rhythmic but, circumstances landed them at such that in an empty auditorium it was an accidental happenstance that Nandini's voice from the other mic got mixed with Ayesha's on-stage performance. The rest was a long history that they kept as their childish secrets and there was no turning back for them from that mess. It grew and grew to the point that today, on the big day, Ayesha felt saddened for robbing her friend all the way and also saw this as a great opportunity to redeem herself.

"You have to sing for me, Nandini! You have to sing. But, I can't be there either. Look, first of all, I am sorry I over-shadowed you and got you in such a singing mess. But, trust me- I can't do this anymore to you. It's your voice that you should own. I was so stupid to get you into this. And no this can't be the last time, I also have to go, my cousin is very ill. He called me and you know - he doesn't like Amma-Appa and vice-versa. I have to be with there. He is waiting for me- he told me that. I have to go and I am also guilty for over-shadowing you till now. You are a very brave girl, Nandini. Believe me. I know this all started out as fun and by coincidence and we agreed to it as it was a blunder. I know it always favored me. I'm sorry it happened but now I want to redeem it- take this big stage and your voice and shine there, for yourself. Please. I'm sorry for the past, I have to go too and I know you are brave. I know you can handle this. I love you, Nandini. I love you. Please." she rushed through her confession and ended it with a friendly kiss on Nandini's head.