-18-

-Mumbai-Goa Highway-

The rain poured as the sun finally hid behind the far-off horizon's clouds where Nandini stared. After the depths of the nights, the grey sky crackled, the white lights blazed outside shining into the windows startling Nandini out of her sleep. The winds let loose and tears brimmed her eyes like the drops puddled on the streets. Already frantic from the words that had leaked through her, her confusing promise to herself and the nightmares of that day that followed, she grabbed the keys of the house, the only car that was left and slammed the door. She revved the car, wiping her tears and breezed her way out letting the dog bark behind those closed doors.

Unknown of where she was going, of any plan or destination, her skipped along with the passing traffic-lights. It all seemed to be a deja-vu. The same night, months ago. A gargling sky with a drive with an undefined destination. Absent-minded of the passing signs that shone on the road she took, Nandini continued to mindlessly steer on the NH48. The Mumbai-Goa highway- the road she once took to run away with someone. The road that she yet again on, but this time alone.

The trees passed by and the rain settled to drizzle. She was calmer a bit after accelerating the car since the last 2 hours. Her eyes droppy pleading to close and snuggle into a mid-night's deep sleep but her heart and mind, for once together, decided against that. A nightmare was the last thing she wanted. The moon shone up high, it was full-moon once again. The smell of a damp road was replaced by a light mood and cardamom scented masala chai. As she rolled the car forwards, a lively-light dhabba seemed to be in her sight. Soft music played in the background and a family seemed to be at rest with calm passer-bys to serve. Her stomach grumbled in anticipation of the chai that boiled in the pot and giving in, Nandini slowed to a hault.

She got off the car and ordered, "Bhaiya, ek chai aur do biscuit dena please!"

She stretched her arms and took a seat on the rock facing the depths of the forest. It was daunting and haunting but, calming at the same time. It was so her. It was so them.

"Kid, chai is love!"

"But I thought you were a coffee-lover!"

"Mornings!"

"Toh night mein chai kyu?"

"See mornings need to be kicking, screaming fun. Nights have to be pitch dark, kardak but smoky with a tingy ahah! Chai is that perfect mixture- the perfect balance of a concluding day. It tells you what you learnt- home is in the end where the roots are!" Abhimanyu dramatized. "Chai is fun, coffee is just a bit serious!"

"Yeh le, aa gai teri love of night-life! Chai!" Aryaman's voice came in as he passed two cups of chai to them. As happy as a kid, Abhi grabbed hold of the cup and took a sip.

"Oi! Yeh garam hi!"

"Of course, you idiot! I just brought it. It's chai, chai, chai- hot bardi tu! Why? Why? Why?" Aryaman laughed.

Lost in the little song that Aryaman had created long back, Nandini laughed to herself and finished the last sip of the "hot" chai. She passed the cup to the stall and got back in her car. A sudden feel of familiarity and love gushed to her with all those memories. She didn't want to leave, just not yet. Following her heart, she sat there on the driver's seat and rolled the windows down letting the breeze bless her. Her eyes shuttered close, tired of all the rush that happened around. They were finally at peace, a bit after reminiscing, a bit after looking eye-to-eye into darkness again and bit after smiling.

-----

"Dehradun to Mumbai. Rerouted." he called out.

"What? Why?" a voice shrieked back and turned towards him.