Chapter 8

You woke up early the next morning. A loud-ass bird had decided that the best use of its time was to sing as noisily as it could, prompting you to wake up. You groaned and stood up, taking care not to hit your head on the top bunk today. Your welt was a reminder of yesterday morning's tragic incident.

It was dawn outside, the sun was barely breaking out of the trees. You decided to go for a walk, since you didn't know what the day's activity would be, and thus, didn't know how to dress.

It was warm outside, so you left on what you'd slept in, a (F/C) Nike sports bra and a pair of ratty grey shorts. And fuzzy socks, of course.

You followed a path that wound around all of the properties of the camp. Camp Paradis owned a massive stretch of land for its various activities, but the area where the cabins and buildings were was smaller. It resembled a small town.

Your heart swelled with happiness. Something about the camp was special to you. Maybe it was your friends, or being out in nature, or being independent. Whatever the cause was, Camp Paradis was becoming very dear to your heart.

You were edging around the counselor's cabins now. The path you were taking was clearly not commonly travelled on, and it faded out where you were. It forked into two paths where you stood now.

The left path would keep you travelling around the buildings, and appeared more travelled on, but the right path called to you for an unknown reason. You decided to take it.

Underbrush grew from the ground and vines grew from the trees, but you pressed on, following the ever-so-faint path. You were convinced you were the only person who'd been on it for years.

The path continued for several more yards, when it suddenly turned to the right. You brushed a vine from your face, and gasped.

You were standing in a magnificent, overgrown clearing. Growing in the clearing were wildflowers of all colors. A tiny stream ran through the grasses, halting at a tall tree. There were words carved into the bark, which you inspected closer. There were three names scratched in. One was in neat handwriting, and it said 'Ilse Langnar'. The next two names were just initials. (FIRST INITIAL. LAST INITIAL.) and L. A.

"Those are my initials, what a coincidence." you thought, tracing them over with your fingertips.

Suddenly, the dawn's light touched the clearing. You turned to take it in. Everything in the clearing seemed to be glowing in the sun's golden light. You felt humbled, and you sat down, against the carved tree, simply at peace.

Birds sung their melodies and the creek rippled. You closed your eyes. You wished that you could share this special place with someone, one day, but for now, you wanted it to be your place.

After minutes of resting peacefully, you stood up. You took one last glance at your clearing before leaving it behind the ivy tendrils. You knew you'd be back soon.

Everyone at the cabin was awake when you opened the door. You opened it cautiously, half expecting there to be a booby-trap filled with water, thanks to Hange.

Thankfully, you'd been spared.

"Where were you (Y/N)? We woke up and you were gone." Historia asked, concern etched on her face.

"I just took a walk. I woke up early."

You went to wash your face and clean up for the day.

"What are we doing today?" you asked.

"Oh (Y/N). You're gonna like this. They're taking us down to play soccer."

"No way! Are you serious?" you asked, grinning.