Chapter 18

"Tch. Wake up, brat."

Great. You knew your dreams about him were realistic, but now you could practically feel him against you. He poked your shoulder in the dream.

"Shit. Wake up." he murmured. You wondered why the dream-Levi wanted you to wake up so badly, and then it hit you.

You jerked up so fast that the top of your head hit him in the chin.

"Sorry! I- uh... sorry, I didn't mean to.... Are you okay?" you stammered. Your eyes were adjusting now, and you saw that the movie's credits were playing. Practically all of your friends were staring at you.

You fixed your attention on Levi, who was rubbing his jaw. "I'm fine." he snapped. You nodded and turned to your friends.

All of your girlfriends were wide-eyed, and Sasha was pumping her fist silently. Annie was covering her mouth, and Mikasa sighed at you. Hange was giving you a huge thumbs up, and Historia and Ymir were grinning. The rest of the girls near you looked insanely jealous. Not that you blamed them,

And then you looked to the boys. Nearly all of them looked surprised. Except Reiner, a guy named Floch, a couple of guys you didn't know, and Bertholdt. Bertholdt looked absolutely heartbroken, and he turned away as soon as you looked at him. You turned back one more time to look at Levi, during the charged silence. You were surprised he'd let you sleep on his shoulder throughout the whole movie, it must have been uncomfortable. He was expressionless now, but his eyes sent thrills down your spine.

You swallowed and walked over to your friends. The silence ended, and you relaxed. But Annie grabbed your shoulder and gently pointed at Bertholdt. He was turned away from everyone, walking away. You nodded at her.

"Bertholdt, wait!" you called. He turned to look at you, utterly defeated. His eyes were glassy. They were bright green, a stark contrast to Levi's cold grey ones. You caught up to him and stood next to him.

"What do you want, (Y/N)?" he sniffed.

"Are... are you okay?" you whispered, already knowing the answer.

He straightened up, just a bit.

"I'm fine."

You nodded.

"Look, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you..." you breathed.

"It's okay. I know. It's always been him." he sighed. Now your eyes were watering for the second time in the evening.

You leaned in to hug him, a friendly gesture. Even if you didn't have feelings for him, you really liked Bertholdt as a friend, and you didn't want to lose him. He wrapped his arms around your smaller frame, for just a moment longer than you would have liked.

Then he released you. "I'm heading back. See you." he said, forcing a smile. You just nodded with a feeble smile.

You spun around after a moment to return to your friends, and you were shocked when you met Levi's eyes.

"Hi." you said. He just looked at you, but his eyes weren't warm, or soft, like you'd gotten used to.

"Uh... something wrong? Is your jaw okay?" you asked, struggling to form the words.

"My jaw is fine." he snapped.

"What?" you asked. His eyes blazed. And then, they just briefly glanced at Bertholdt, so quick you could have imagined it.

Oh. He was upset with you for comforting Bertholdt.

"Hey... he was upset. I just wanted to make sure he was okay." you whispered. Levi narrowed his eyes at you, and seemed to sort out the sentence in his head.