sixteen

Unusually so, there was no telling that night, no screaming, no crying, but overall, Jaemin slept.

But it came to an end, as it always did. And then after their lecture the next day, Jaemin awkwardly walked home with Jinsoo and Jeno to work on the project.

Jinsoo, who had paced forward, leaving the pair in the back, didn't notice when Jeno clasped onto Jaemin's hand happily.

"I will get you out of this," Jaemin mumbled, hiding their hands from Jinsoo's curious eyes. "Whatever it takes."

As they continued walking, Jaemin dropped Jeno's hand, but the older was quick to pick it up again, still keeping this out of the eyes of the devil.

The blonde really couldn't stop the smile from gracing his features so elegantly, as he tilted his head to watch the older who walked with his eyes ahead.

What Jaemin didn't miss though, was the happy smile he wore. It was the first genuine one that he had seen since his introduction to the boy.

"Thank you," the brunette lowly muttered, his voice not breaching the tone of a whisper. "And Jisung. I thank you both."

Jaemin didn't need to ask questions, so instead he nodded, wanting Jeno to know that he was there, and he would help with all he had.

The walk home came to an end, and so did their short but sweet moment.

Now, Jinsoo held a firm hold on Jeno's hand while glaring daggers into Jaemin who avoided the look at all costs.

"This is our apartment. I would welcome you, but you've been here before," Jinsoo growled, his crushing grip eliciting a crack from Jeno's hand.

Not wanting to show weakness, the brunette left his face void of emotion, trying not to express the immense pain that it had caused.

"But feel free to intrude...again," Jinsoo continued, bowing as Jaemin walked through hesitantly.

He couldn't help but feel paranoid as he stepped over the golden threshold, sharing a look with Jeno before fully stepping in.

"It may be humble, but is it like you remember?" Jinsoo asked, eyebrow raised challengingly at the shorter.

With no answer, the eldest scoffed.

"And you say he and Jisung can protect you?"

Neither boys lifted their heads, worried to trigger the psychotic boy any more than they already had.

"Well if you two are as equally spineless as each other, I guess you can do the project for me while I talk to Donghyuck." He walked away in the direction of the door while twirling his key ring between his fingers. "And Jeno." He turned slightly. "Remember the rules."

With the sharp shut of the door, Jaemin leaped to embrace Jeno.

"We need to talk!"

"No Jaemin. You and Jisung will not call the police. I won't allow it!" Jeno yelled, face reddening at the rage that filled his being. How could Jaemin even discuss this?

"What part of the story am I missing? 'Cause last time I checked, he hits you," Jaemin scowled, his body tensioning at the thought of losing this vital battle. "He hurts you Jeno. What could possibly make you want to protec-"

"He's the only thing keeping my sister alive!" The older yelled, the pain that leaked into his tone making Jaemin soften his harsh and judgmental stare. He felt his shoulders hunch.

Jisung was right. There was another side to this story.

Oh how this would be much much more difficult than he thought. Now there was not only another person involved, but it was a life on the line.

I am so so so so sorry about how late this update was. I truly am. I'll have another one - a longer one - tomorrow.

Also, to any atiny out there, I have published a short story called 'Do You Remember?' if you're interested...

Aofa