Chapter 15:

A large platform lowered itself on front of us.

"Well well." The general said, coming into view. "It's seems that Cadets Hertla, Leonis and Oleg are our winners."

My attention was taken away when I heard grunting behind me. I turned slightly and saw Dev trying to pull himself out of the chasm. Ignoring the Generals I leaned down to him and yanked him out.

You okay? I asked, why did you do that?

Because. Even his thoughts sounded scratchy. I hadn't truly redeemed our friendship, so I felt that needed to be done. It did hurt though.

I could feel his laughter ring in my mind.

"And you have won the prize." The General gestured grandly with his hand. All four of us stared up in awe. Towering above us was an Imperial Walker. It stood maybe 40 feet tall with big laser gun in the front. Panic riddled my mind.

Dev! You were supposed to be on the Walker with us! Now what?

Don't panic Sparks, Dev thought to me calmy, just stick to the plan... I'll find a way to get on board.

-------------------------------------------

Just before I set foot on the steep stairs, I paused. About 70 feet away, outside the hanger stood another Walker. But below the Walker, the poorly painted black droid from Imperial Headquarters rolled around under it innocently. Too innocently.

I turned back to Dev, who stood among the other Cadets whom lost today. But his helmet remained on his head.

That droids apart of the plan. Isn't he?

He is, now get in there. Follow the plan.

I followed his orders and climbed up the stairs, my legs quickly beginning to burn in exhaustion. I slipped inside the walker, and found Zare chatting it up with the Walker's operator. The inside of the Walker was extremely cramped, not very much room for movement.

"So this controls movement, and that controls the cannon, but what to these do?" Zare pointed to some buttons on the control board.

"Gyroscopics." The operator answered and leaned to the left. "Here let me show you."

The operator leaned and revealed his stun gun on his hip.

Discreetly I glanced over my shoulder at Zare, who reached down for his gun. Skillfully he grabbed it from his belt and slipped it over to me, I took it looking out of the corner of my eye.

I took glance at Oleg, but he was busy observing the "Gyroscopics" (AN: whatever the hell that means) of the walker and hadn't noticed our trade.

BAM! CRASH!

Outside our windshield, the walker the droid was residing under had exploded, flames erupting from it's destroyed corpse.

The operator sprung from his seat.

"What was that?" He asked.

"My signal." I smirked and shot him with the stun gun. The solider fell out of his seat and onto the floor next to my feet.

"What are you doing?" Oleg then jumped from his seat and tackled me.

My switch flipped on and I elbowed Oleg in the chest and whipped around, shooting him with the gun.

Oleg fell unconscious into his seat. I inhaled and closed my eyes. The turned to Zare. Zare sat in the operators seat, turning the machine on.

"No turning back." I told him, hooking the stun gun to my belt.

"Never." He agreed.

The real test has just begun.