Chapter 32:

My heart shattered.

"NO!!" I screamed and ran to my father's dead body, not caring that the Inquisitor was so close. "No! Please no! Daddy!"

I flipped him over and yanked the arrow out of his chest.

"Dad! Dad come on!" I shook him, but he remain motionless, his brown eyes still open.

He's dead. Gone.

I collapsed and sobbed into his chest, blood covering my hands and face.

"Such a pity. You could've joined me and this never would have been necessary."

The Inquisitor was circling me, shaking his head in amusement.

"You... Monster!" I yelled through my sobs.

"Me?" The Inquisitor looked surprised. "If I remember correctly Ms. Hertla, it wasn't me who shot the arrow."

Those words hit me like a knife in the heart and I continued to cry over my dad's corpse, numbness taking over my body.

"Well no matter. He had to be executed anyway. Now it's time to finish the job."

I knew exactly what he meant, but I didn't move. I wanted to be with him, and I didn't care where. I heard the whine of his lightsaber. Inhaling deeply and closeing my eyes, I braced myself for death.

But it never came. Nothing. No excruciating pain, no tunnel with light.

Roughly my arms were grabbed from behind and I was yanked away. My eyes shot open, and over my shoulder Ezra was dragging me to the Ghost.

"No! Let go!" I struggled, but he continued dragging me with ease. "Ezra!"

Out of the corner of my eye, the Inquisitor lay unconscious on the ground. Kanan was running right in front of Ezra.

Wasn't he unconscious?

I continued to struggle, tears gushing from my eyes. "I was ready! Why didn't you just let it happen?" I asked him.

Ezra's arms took a tighter hold. "Cause I wasn't ready."

"You need to get on board now!" Sabine shouted. "Go! We'll cover you!"

Ezra dragged me up the ramp, blaster fire nearly hitting my boots. We entered the cargo hold, I still struggled in Ezra's arms.

He should have just let me die. That would have been the respectable thing to do.

"Don't do anything stupid, okay?" Ezra brought me over to a small door, took my bow and threw me into the room.

The room was small and dark, like a closet that was never used. I leaped up to get out but he shut the door and locked it on me, leaving me in the dark. Furiously I banged on the door, yelling for him or anyone to let me out.

The ship then jolted and the familiar feeling of flying set in again.

You killed him and left him.

No, you didn't kill him, Ezra's voice rang.

I sat down on the floor, defeated.

I did, I shot the arrow. It's all my fault. You should have just let me die. It's not fair that you didn't let me die.

Not fair? You have something to live for.

What? What do I have to live for? I have no one.

...you have me...

I sighed, pulling my knees to my chest as tears escaped my eyes. I sobbed for what seemed like an eternity before I fell into a troubled sleep.