Chapter 9

Daichi sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Please ignore that if you heard it."

Asahi looked down at him nervously. "You do realize what he said, right?"

"I do."

"But-"

"No Asahi. I will not take advantage of him when he's like this. It's not fair." He turned to see Sugawara innocently staring up at him. "Go to sleep Suga."

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No, no of course not. You just need to sleep a little bit and you'll feel even better."

"Oh… okay." Sugawara put his head down on Daichi's shoulder and sighed. "I'm sorry…"

"There's nothing wrong Suga. Shh."

"Oh no…" Sugawara whined.

"What's wrong?"

"O-oh no…" This time his voice cracked and he started to cry. Everyone was instantly alarmed. Daichi turned on his side and held Sugawara close. He wiped away Suga's tears, still shushing quietly.

"Suga. You're okay. No one is mad. No one is going to do anything. I'm right here." Daichi rubbed Sugawara's back. "I'm here. Asahi's here. My mom and dad and your mom is here. Gin is here. Every-" Sugawara sobbed loudly and Daichi realized what was wrong. "Okay. It's okay."

"What's wrong?" Asahi whispered.

Daichi held Sugawara closer and looked at Sugawara's mother. "Can you ask Gin to step out? Just until he falls asleep."

"I don't think-" Sugawara whimpered again and she nodded. "Gin. Step out until I say to come back."

"You're joking."

"I'm not."

Gin rolled his eyes and walked out. Almost instantly the air in the room lightened. Sugawara calmed back down and fell asleep, clutching Daichi's shirt lightly. Daichi sighed in relief and patted the boy's back. "It's alright. I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

Daichi's mother opened the door and told Gin he could come back in. From where Daichi was, he could see that Gin had directly glared at his mother. He opened his mouth to say something but his mother stopped him. "Bottle it for now. Trust me, it'll work."

"Yes ma'am."

She nodded and sat next to the bed. Her eyes turned to her husband. And she smiled. "Asahi, sweetheart are you ready to go?"

"Um… Suga seems okay. So yes."

"Okay. I will see you tomorrow. I got that new series in yesterday."

Asahi smiled and followed Daichi's father out. Soon after Sugawara's mother took Gin home. They knew she'd be back soon so they had to hurry and talk.

Daichi shook Sugawara's shoulder, waking him. "Suga. Sorry about this. Is Gin doing something to you?"

"Mm. Gin is mean…" Sugawara mumbled. He closed his eyes again. "Listening."

"Alright. How is he mean?" Daichi's mother questioned. There was a sense of gentle urgency that she typically only used with Asahi, seeing that Daichi never needed it unless something was incredibly bad.

"He calls me names…" Sugawara yawned. "He doesn't like me being gay…"

"Oh Suga." Daichi patted Suga's back. "No… no being gay is perfectly fine. Don't let him say mean things. You tell me next time it happens."

"Mm. He doesn't like you."

"I figured that much." Daichi started running his fingers through Sugawara's hair, content with his answers for now. Sugawara ended up falling back asleep, resting peacefully on the other. "We need to do something. Soon."

"I know."

"He's seemed really light lately too. I don't like where this is going."

"Neither do I. I'll talk to his mother and see if he can stay with us until his cousin can leave. He's not good for Sugawara to be around."

"Right." Daichi closed his eyes. "I'm going to sleep but please talk with his mom..."

"Of course sweetheart."

"Thank you."

****

Daichi stepped into Sugawara's hospital room and smiled. "Hey… how do you feel?"

"My head doesn't hurt but I'm bored…" Sugawara replied. He smiled and sat up. "Sit up here."

"Mm. Hang on I have important questions."

"Oh?"

"Yep." Daichi sat down. He took out a papers and set them down. Sugawara took them and glanced up at Daichi. "Don't be scared. It's alright."

"Um…" Sugawara opened the packet and started to read. His face loosened and he smiled. "You… want me to move in with me and your family… um… why exactly is that?"

"Yesterday you couldn't sleep until Gin left the room and you wouldn't stop crying." Daichi rubbed the back of his neck. "You don't-"

"Yes."

"What?"

Sugawara put the papers down and sighed. "Yeah I don't want to be around Gin. He's arrogant and- excuse my language- an ass."

"Alright. Well your mom is going to be up here soon with mine and they'll explain how it'll work. Apparently you take a medication so when that needs to get refilled we'll make it so that we can get it." Daichi sat down and chuckled nervously. "So you really want to?"

"Yeah. Can't be too bad." Sugawara leaned into Daichi and smiled. "Oooh. Warm."

"Heh. Alright." Daichi ruffled his hair. "You wanna get changed?"

"I'll change later. I have clothes in the bag over there." He pointed to the other end of the room to a bag. "I'm still tired. They drugged me up good yesterday and this morning."

"Yeah they did." Daichi laughed softly.

"What is it? Did I say something wrong yesterday?"

"No, of course not." Daichi laid back and laughed again. "Although you did phrase "my head doesn't hurt anymore" in a strange way."

"What did I say?"

"You said "no more ouch in my head" which almost made me laugh if I hadn't been so worried."

"Why were you worried?" Sugawara laid back as well. "It couldn't have been that bad."

"You passed out because of how much pain you were going through. That's worrying." Daichi patted Sugawara's hair. Suga smiled and nodded.

"Well at least I slept." Daichi stopped trying to suppress any laughter and burst out laughing, clutching his sides. Sugawara watched him, eyes wide at first. Then he relaxed and smiled, letting out his own soft laugh. Well this was something he could get used to for a while.