Chapter 21

Daichi eased his arm under Sugawara's legs and hoisted him up. Sugawara was asleep, already disconnected from his medical equipment. He had changed into jeans and Daichi's sweater. He was finally going home.

"Alright. So we're going to have to get into the car without him waking up." Shinju whispered.

"I can do it." Asahi offered.

Daichi nodded. "Yeah that sounds good."

Asahi held out his arms and was handed Sugawara. The brunette held him gently, being as careful as he could. Daichi grabbed Sugawara's bag and walked beside them. He watched Suga, worried.

That poor boy.

He'd been so tired and had so many issues with pain in his chest. Plus he couldn't talk too much. Which wasn't good at all.

Daichi eased his hand into one of Sugawara's limp ones and smiled. He would take care of him. Daichi wasn't supposed to understand love or anything, as he was only fourteen, but he was incredibly protective over this boy. He'd protect him with every bone in his body so he could get better. This could be considered love. This was okay. Suga would be okay.

"Daichi, can you buckle him while Asahi helps me out?" Shinju questioned.

"Yeah." Daichi watched as Asahi set Sugawara down. He eased the seatbelt over Sugawara and secured him to the seat. "There we go…"

"Mm…" Sugawara's eyes opened slightly and blankly stared up at Daichi. Daichi shushed him quietly and sat down next to him.

"Hey…" Sugawara leaned over, resting his head on Daichi's shoulder. His arm went under Daichi's and his hand slowly laced with his, palms pressed together. "You sleepy?"

"Mhm…"

"Alright sweetheart." Daichi kissed the top of Sugawara's head and smiled. He was so calm…

Their relationship was pretty much just gentle affection and cuddles but of course they weren't perfect. And that's why they worked. Because perfection doesn't ever work.

Shinju looked in her rearview mirror and smiled. Such innocent love. Such precious boys. She turned to Asahi and smiled. "Are you okay?"

"Mhm."

"You sure?"

"Yes ma'am." He turned around and saw Daichi intently watching Sugawara, a hand stroking his hair tenderly. "They look happy."

"Asahi, I asked if you were okay. You've been quiet."

"I'm okay."

Shinju sighed. Asahi didn't talk about his feelings due to his overprotective and strange mother. She knew this. She knew he liked talking to her and Daichi. It was okay. "Alright. You can say whatver you need."

"Should I tell my mom that I like guys?"

She inhaled and glanced back at her son again. He was somewhat spaced out, holding onto Sugawara. "Are you ready to tell her?"

"I think so, yeah."

"Alright. Great." She turned a corner. "Just bring her over to my house the day you want to come out. That way if she gets mad I'll be there. Okay?"

"Yes ma'am." Asahi smiled. At this point everyone felt okay. Life was okay.

****

"Suga… Suga please stop." Daichi hurried to the bed where Sugawara was attempting to yell at him. He was going to hurt his throat. Daichi was terrified, not knowing what to do.

Each time he would get close, Sugawara would scream loudly. Both of them couldn't remember why he was screaming, they just knew he was upset.

"Suga please… p-please stop." Daichi begged. He was panicking, not wanting to make Sugawara upset further. What was he supposed to do?

After several minutes of Sugawara screaming and Daichi begging him to stop, the brunette just caved in. He sat on the floor and began to cry, overwhelmed. He wasn't ready for things like this. He couldn't help. He couldn't do anything.

Sugawara gulped, feeling a small pain in his throat. He noticed that Daichi wasn't talking anymore and guilt swarmed his body. He looked over at Daichi on the floor and gulped. He got off the bed and crawled to Daichi, ashamed of himself. Why did he have to things like this?

"Dai…" He whispered. Daichi's eyes stayed down, trained on his lap. Sugawara's lip quivered in shame. Slowly, he wrapped an arm around Daichi's waist. "I-I'm sorry… I didn't… I didn't-"

Sigawara began coughing, his chest tightening a bit. Daichi pulled him closer and just rubbed his back. "It's alright. You can't control it."

"B-but I feel like-" He coughed. "Like I'm manipulating y-you…"

"It's alright, I promise."

"It's not… it's not okay…"

"No Suga. I've seen manipulation before. Trust me."

"W-what…"

"When you meet Asahi's mom you'll understand. Mom is getting help for you. It's okay." Daichi eased back up to the bed and held Sugawara, calming him back down. Sugawara was carefully held, like a sleeping child. "It's okay."

"It's not…"

"Shhhh." Daichi eased his hand into Sugawara's hair. There was always a moment of aftershock of yelling and crying. The most calm and vulnerable time for both of them.

Gentle circles were rubbed into Suga's scalp and back of his neck. One of the smaller male's hands had linked with Daichi's subconsciously while the other held Daichi's shirt.

"Are you okay now?"

"Yeah… I'm sorry…"

"No need to be sorry Suga."

Sugawara just sighed.

"Kouchi."

"Y-yeah?"

"Lets just take our minds off of this. Okay?"

"Okay."

"So… your birthday is soon."

"Mhm."

"Do you want anything?"

"Not really."

"Sweetheart…"

Sugawara smiled. "I like it when you call me that."

Daichi laughed softly and rubbed his back. He could feel the little bumps where his spine ran down the middle of him. He knew he'd feel just skin soon. No more poky bones and easily earned bruises. Soon. Hopefully.

So much sunburn... Ow.

Use sunscreen kids.