Chapter 10

Sugawara turned to the side, double checking that he'd grabbed his journals. Not personal journals. For school. Because who had personal journals, especially if they were a male? Everyone thought guys shouldn't have journals so why couldn't he?

"Suga? Are you ready?" Sugawara turned around and smiled. Daichi held out a hand. "I'll carry them."

"Mm. No." Sugawara slipped his bookbag on and lifted his other bag. "I've got it."

"Don't be stubborn." Daichi grabbed the other bag and the hand Sugawara had been clutching the bag with.

Suga repositioned his hand to lace his fingers with Daichi's and rolled his eyes. "You're more stubborn."

"I guess."

Sugawara laughed and led him to the front of the house. His mother was standing there, worried. Daichi let go of Sugawara's hand and pushed on his book bag lightly. Sugawara held out his arms and stepped forward. His mother held him tightly, mumbling to him. "It's okay mom… yes. I'll be safe. I will call you. Of course. I love you."

She let go of him and kissed his forehead. "Just be careful."

"I will." Sugawara smiled. "Just think of it as a really long sleepover." Daichi reached and grabbed his hand again. Sugawara held their hands up. "See? Daichi will protect me."

"Mm." She turned to Daichi and smiled. "Please be careful with him."

"Of course. I wouldn't want him hurt either." 

"Thank you." She turned to Daichi's mother, who was staring at Gin. "Excuse me."

"Hm?"

"You'll take care of him, right?"

"Yes. He's a very sweet boy and I will no doubt love having him in my home."

"Great. Thank you so much."

"No problem." She smiled and gestured for the two teenagers to leave for a moment. Daichi led Sugawara outside and they got into his mother's car.

"So…"

"This is awkward." Sugawara pointed out. He leaned over to rest against Daichi. "But I'm excited."

"That's great." Daichi rubbed Sugawara's hair, pressing his fingertips into his scalp.

"Mm. You're always rubbing my hair… is it soft or something?"

"It's soft. A little dry but it feels nice... Not trying to sound weird."

"It's not weird you dork." Sugawara looked up and smiled. "Nice eyes."

Daichi tapped his nose against Sugawara's and smiled. Finally it was quiet and there was no more pain. Just them. Being kind. And gentle. Daichi started to lean down but his eyes flicked up to the windshield. He saw his mother walk towards the car and she froze, making eye contact with him.

She backed up, smirking.

Sugawara sighed, frowning. "Oh come on. Don't tease me like that."

"Tease you? What do you mean?"

"You just tried to kiss me, didn't you?" Sugawara questioned.

Daichi blushed a bright red. "Possibly."

"Pfft." Sugawara grabbed Daichi's cheeks and smiled at him, almost like a mischievous grin. "Do you want me to kiss you?"

Daichi smiled back. "You want to?"

"Well yeah. You're the one making it awkward." Sugawara paused. "This is so cliche oh my God."

"Suga come on." Daichi leaned forward and pressed his lips into Sugawara's. Suga immediately began laughing after, blushing furiously. "Was it really that bad?"