Chapter 22

Sugawara looked up from lightly tossing a volleyball, seeing Daichi come into the front yard. He smiled and walked over, wanting to see what Daichi was doing.

The brunette turned and smiled. "Hey, you alright?"

"I'm okay."

Daichi smiled. Carefully, he turned Sugawara's head to the side, looking at the spot where his incision had been. There was a small mark now, slightly lighter than the other skin. "Does it feel better?"

"Mhm. Just itchy."

"Itchy?"

"Inside. Coughing." Sugawara sighed. "What're you doin?"

"Going to get Asahi's mom. Do you want to come?"

"Mhm."

"Alright." Daichi grabbed his hand. "Just stay behind me, okay?"

"Okay?"

"Thanks." He walked, Sugawara behind him. As soon as he knocked on Asahi's door Sugawara shrunk behind him, shocked. The door had been swung open and startled him. Daichi rubbed his hand gently with his thumb. "Excuse me but can you come over? Asahi wants to talk to you but my mom kinda wants to hear it."

"Of course she does." The ravenette in the doorway sighed. "Alright. But I've got to get back to working in here so it better be fast."

"Yes ma'am." Daichi let her walk first across the road so that she couldn't see how he was holding Sugawara's hand, somehow intimidated. When they entered his house he spotted Asahi sitting on the couch, a book in his hands. As usual. Not that there was anything bad about it, it's just that this was supposed to be an important talk.

Shinju spoke up first, sitting next to Asahi. "I'm sorry that we had to pull you away from your work but Asahi has something very important to tell you."

"It's alright. Just please make it quick."

"Mom…" Asahi whispered. His hands held onto his book firmer. "This is serious."

"Alright. Go on."

"Mom I need you to listen… please…" Daichi inhaled deeply, knowing Asahi was building up courage. This was hard for him. He was shy and didn't necessarily know how to speak up like Daichi and Sugawara could in most instances.

"I am listening."

"You know how you said you'd respect me no matter what?"

"Yes."

"Well what if…" Asahi's eyes darted to Daichi and Sugawara who both nodded. "What if I liked guys?"

"What?"

"A-ah sorry I just-" Asahi closed his eyes tightly as he heard a footstep come towards him. "I'm sorry."

Shinju threw her arm in front of Asahi and Daichi did the same. No way she'd hit another mother's child. She couldn't get to Asahi now. Asahi's mother just frowned. "We're going home."

"No. You listen to him." Shinju stated.

"I will. By myself." She reached for Asahi's arm and Sugawara stood. He was tiny thing at the moment but his eyes were a definite thing to watch for.

"Leave him alone!" Sugawara stopped and whimpered. He started to shrink down towards the floor and Daichi reached for him, concerned.

"What hurts?"

"My chest."

"Alright." Daichi got up and ran upstairs. He returned with an inhaler and held Sugawara. "Here."

"What's his issue?"

Shinju sighed. "I get that you're upset. That's fine. You can't go and try and grab your son or question people you don't know. He's obviously in pain."

"Fine. Come on." She tried to grab for Asahi again but this time her hand met Sugawara's wrist. The oldest of the soon to be second years was glaring at her. It was evident that it hurt but he wouldn't let up.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE!"

Daichi stared at Sugawara, shocked. Oh god that must have hurt.

Asahi stared at Sugawara as well, terrified. He could see the way she was white knuckling Suga's arm. That grip was terrifying. Slowly, he eased his mother's hand off of Sugawara's arm. "Is dad home?"

"He is."

Daichi rubbed the red mark on Sugawara's wrist. This was worse than he thought.

Shinju stood, obviously angry. "Out of my house. Now."

"I'm getting my-"

"Get out."

"I'm calling the police. You're holding him against his will."

"Great. Get out." She shut the door with a huff. Shinju turned, all anger gone. "Are you two okay?"

No one responded. Asahi had lowered to the floor, worry etched into more than just his face. His hands were gingerly holding Sugawara's marked arm, eyes watering.

"I'm so sorry… I didn't think she would… oh no I'm sorry Suga…"

"I'm okay." Sugawara coughed and smiled.

"Does it hurt?" Sugawara shook his head. "Oh. Oh thank God."

"I'll get you some ice." Shinju mumbled.

Daichi sighed. Why was Asahi's mother so damned extra? And why hadn't she let go of Sugawara? She'd hurt him. On purpose.

Daichi held Sugawara closer, burrowing into the side of his chest. He'd hurt him if it was the middle. He knew that. He just had to be careful. "I'm okay Dai."

"Alright. Just… was she holding your arm too hard? It looks like it hurts…"

"I mean it stings- Asahi stop. Stooop." Sugawara held out his hand.

"She hurt you… she hurt you…" Asahi began to cry, hiccuping. Sugawara eased an arm around Asahi and held him closer. "I'm so sorry…"

"Asahi it's okay, really. I've been through worse. This is nothing." He patted the brunette's back. "Plus she's being a jerk to you as well. You seemed really, really scared. Has she hurt you?"

"Well I mean sometimes she grabs my arms a little too hard and will nudge me too hard." Asahi paused. "And her fingernails."

"What about her fingernails?"

Asahi pointed to his forearm where there were crescent shaped scabs and bruises. "She digs them into my arm if I do something wrong. Does your mom not…?"

Shinju dropped the ice pack she was holding. "She what?!"