Chapter 8: Chats

Marcus stood next to the ship's railing studying the double bladed weapon in his hands. What a truly remarkable weapon it was! The staff had two silver blades at each end and it's handle was black, etched with ivory and lined with pure gold. But was it true that this staff could possibly glow? It certainly wasn't glowing now.

"Have you tried using a staff in battle before?" A voice piped up. It was Camille.

Marcus looked up then back at the weapon. "Well, no, not this one."

"Well, it is a different kind of weapon," Camille pointed out.

Marcus smiled a little then stared at the weapon quietly.

"Thinking of the Legend of the staff?"

"Well, Yea," Marcus said slowly. "But, just.... how does the Legend even connect with me? I mean the weapon does seem to be crafted especially for me, but how?"

Camille smiled softly, "I'm sure it'll all work out."

"You all act like you're happy here, but I don't even know why I'm here."

Camille touched his shoulder gently. "I'm sure there's a reason you came here. Maybe something greater than you can imagine."

****

Reepicheep stood at the bow of the ship on the ship's dragon head holding on to the horn, singing a little lullaby to himself.

"'Where the sky and water meet, where the waves grow sweet, doubt not, Reepicheep, to find all you seek, there is the utter east.-'"

"That's lovely," Lucy commented behind him, scaring the little mouse.

"Oh! Thank you, Your Majesty." The little mouse breathed, calming down.

The mouse scurried over to her. "A dryad sang it to me when I was just a mouseling. I can't describe the meaning, but I've never forgotten the words."

"What do you think is past the Lone islands, Reep?" Lucy asked.

"I'm told that the farthest one can sail east is the end of the world. Aslan's country." Reepicheep replied.

Lucy frowned a little. "Do you really believe there is such a place?"

"We have nothing, if not belief."

"Well, there is only one way of finding that out. I can only hope I will one day earn the right to see it." Reep chuckled a little and turned to scurry away. "Your Majesty," he excused himself.

The mouse hurried away and some splashing interrupted Lucy's thoughts. Lucy looked over the ship's railing and saw some Naiads swimming alongside the ship. They jumped waves and did somersaults in the air. One Naiad flipped over and waved at Lucy who waved back.

Clashing of metal against metal, made Lucy glance in the direction it came from. Lucy looked back at the waves but the Naiads were already gone so she headed over to watch the sword fight.