Chapter 17: Heed Wise Words

Around noon on the second day at sea, the Dawn Treader ship sailed slowly into the cove of a lush island. Vibrant green leaves filled the island. Bushes and vines were emerald with nurture and sprinkled with dew. Even the trees had the sparkle of moisture. The grass seemed tamed and freshly cut, as if something lived there. All around the island, manicured bushes and trimmed vines showed of habitation but not a soul seemed to occupy it. A strange silence rose from the place and only a few birds chirped but no bushes rustled.

"It looks uninhabited." Camille said slowly.

"But if the lords followed the mist east, they would have stopped here." Caspian mentioned thoughtfully.

"Or it could be a trap," Drinian pointed out.

"Or it could hold some answers." Edmund countered. "Caspian?"

Camille looked at him strangely. Did he just suggest going onto an island with mysterious silence and potential dangers? Something about this place told her this was no ordinary island.

Caspian thought about it for a moment then turned to the captain. "We'll spend the night on the shore and scout out the island in the morning."

"Aye, your majesty." Drinian turned and went to the lower deck to get some men and the boats ready.

****

Dusk began to streak across the sky as the small group from the Dawn Treader began to set up camp. Pinks and oranges spread across the horizon like paint strokes on an easel. It was the most picturesque scene Camille had ever imagined. Crickets chirped and a crisp night zephyr blew across the sandy beach.

Camille collected twigs from the ground around some bushes. Lucy knelt down beside her and grabbed a stick, adding it to her small pile. 

Camille looked over at the Valiant Queen. "I'm a bit annoyed Lucy." She confessed.

Lucy looked up from what she was doing, "How so, Camille?"

"It's my brother. He's a bit too concerned about my wellbeing. Well, way too concerned. Just a little while ago, he insisted I help the others find firewood. He's afraid I'll get injured or something. But I'm a warrior queen! I'm tough and strong."

"He means well, Camille." Lucy advised.

Camille sighed, "Yea, I-guess so. I'm just-."

"Exasperated?" Lucy finished. "I felt the same way when my older brother insisted that I stay behind in the How that night you went to raid Miraz's castle. At first I didn't understand why until I realized he just wanted me safe. Maybe Caspian is like that too. He just feels like it's his duty to keep you from harm."

Camille smiled, "Well, maybe you're right."

Lucy put her free hand on Camille's shoulder. "I'm glad I could help." She turned and headed back to the fire.

Camille stretched her back after she was finished collecting the sticks for the fire. Camille looked at the fire, which was little more than a spark. The crew mates that were picked to come ashore had set up their sleeping spots in various places.

Camille smiled as she looked around the little beach shore. All her friends and the crewmen were busy about camp. Lucy had gone to chat with Marcus, Caspian and Drinian were talking about what they were going to do the following day while Caspian stoked the fire, and Pearl was off prancing after Edmund in an excited mood. It was exciting to be with the crew of the Dawn Treader. What could go wrong?

Meanwhile, Lucy and Marcus were talking about the last time Lucy and her brother had been in Narnia. Lucy told him the whole story of their adventure putting Caspian and Camille on the throne of Narnia. Lucy had decided to leave out the part about Edmund liking Camille for fear of embarrassing her brother.

"So how are you getting along with the crew?" Lucy asked after finishing with her story.

"It's going fairly well. You all have been very friendly to me. You, Caspian, Camille. I don't know about Edmund though. I noticed before coming ashore that he seemed a little annoyed with my presence on the ship." Marcus tossed a stick into the burning fire.

Not far behind them, Edmund sat on a log watching the two converse. Well, at least it wasn't Camille at the moment, but still Edmund hated that boy. Ever since that dual with Camille, Edmund suspected something was different about Marcus. What was it? He didn't know how, but the boy managed to gain the attention of the entire ship though Caspian, Camille, Lucy, and Pearl still treated Edmund as a good friend, but was that it? No! Something about that wasn't enough. The new boy had just gotten on his bad side. From stealing Camille to taking the ship's crew attention away from him. Why couldn't Marcus just leave?

"Well, looks like someone's evening is off to a rocky start. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed, your Highness?" A familiar voice spoke as hoofs landed softly beside Edmund.

"Go away Pearl," Edmund spat. He wasn't in the mood for talking.

"Fine! I'll go," Pearl turned to leave, "but seriously, if it's about Marcus then I highly suggest you get your act together."

"What makes you such an advisor?" Edmund chided, anger starting to burn red hot.

"Anyone with experience is an advisor and I saw enough of what happened to Miraz to know that anger leads to disaster." Pearl explained, turning back around.

"And you think I'm on the same path?" Edmund barked, standing up aggressively.

Pearl's eyes widened a little but she didn't budge. This wasn't the Edmund she knew. "No," Pearl stated calmly, eyes expressionless. "But let it get to your head and you will be.

"Remember this, if anger gets through the front door, light will not easily be reached." Pearl added before totting over to Camille.

Edmund crossed his arms slightly flustered. He didn't know what Pearl meant but he was too agitated to put any thought into it.