Chapter 22: Nightmares

It had been days at sea since leaving Coriakin's Island. Wind and violent rains had picked up. Waves began to get higher and stronger as it rocked the boat violently. Camille's nightmares also began to get stronger, more vivid and what was worse, more frequently. What was even stranger was that Marcus started having dreams, a few being similar. This was starting to be more than a crazy coincidence. 

For days, no light shone. Everything was done either by candle light or by the frequent flashes of lighting. Captain Drinian and a few other crew mates were unsuccessfully trying to steer the Dawn Treader through the massive waves.

Eustace, meanwhile, sat in his hammock trying to write despite the rocking ship.  For reasons beyond my comprehension, we've taken the advice of a senile old coot who doesn't possess a razor and dawdles around in a dressing gown.

So we're back in this tub and lost in a tempest. Brilliant!

The men outside tried desperately to work the ship.

"Three spokes to starboard!" commanded the Captain.

"Aye, aye, sir!" A crew mate replied.

Water was starting to flood the main deck. Camille did her best to help. She was sure that she had spent more time wet than dry.

"More bails here!" "Pass it down here!"

Pearl, on the other hand, had to stay tied up in the hold, well out of the way of the rushing feet of the crew.

Fourteen days at sea being tossed around like a pancake and not a sign of land. My only consolation is that everyone is finally as miserable as I am. Except for that show-off talking rat. He's one of those annoying glass-half-full types.

Camille heaved some barrels over to Travros. "More barrels, Travros. Can you handle it from here?"

The Minotaur turned to her and took the barrels she carried. "Yes, my Queen. Now please, you must get to where it's dry. For your brother's sake."

Camille sighed reluctantly. She sometimes hated being under her brother's wing. He was three years older but overprotective. Well maybe 'extremely' overprotective ever since she's had all those nightmares. "Alright, I'll go get dry."

The door of the navigation room opened and Camille stepped inside, joining the existing occupants. Drinian stood in front of the table in the middle of the room while Edmund stood off to the left, holding onto the wooden ceiling beam above him to keep his balance. Caspian sat on the window seat looking at the stormy sky out the corner of the window. All three turned their heads when they heard the door to the cabin open and Camille walk in.

"You look like a drowned cat, sis," Caspian commented at the sight of Camille's drenched figure.

Camille shot her brother a scowl, making Caspian grin. He knew his sister never fared well being drenched for twenty-four hours straight.

"More like a feisty, drowned cat," Edmund joked lightly, his eyes twinkling a little. It was his turn to get a scowl from Camille.

"Come sit, sis." Caspian patted a spot next to him then he looked at Edmund. "Edmund, get her a towel from that cabinet next to you."

Edmund turned and took a couple steps rather unsteadily to the cabinet. He took a towel and came back keeping a good hold on the ceiling beam. Caspian took the towel and wrapped it around his sister's wet body.

"Now, go on captain," Caspian told Drinian as he put an arm around Camille.

Drinian nodded and looked down at the map in front of them. "So we're stuck here," Drinian continued, "at half rations, with food and water for two more weeks, maximum."