Chapter 14: Departing the Lone Islands

The battle was over and all the townsfolk were cheering for their heroes. Everyone lined the streets down to the dock as the royals and the Dawn Treader crew walked down to the harbor.

"Your Majesty!" A man called as he rushed towards Caspian and the others.

Drinian, however, quickly stopped the man from approaching. He wasn't sure if this man was a threat or not.

"Your Majesty!" The man was persistent. "My wife was taken just this morning."

Camille and the others stopped. "It's alright, Drinian." Camille assured the captain.

The man quickly came over to Camille and Caspian. He bowed slightly in respect then spoke up again. "I beg you, take me with you."

"I want to come." A girl pleaded tugging on her father's shirt.

Camille recognized the two from earlier.

"No, Gael, stay with your aunt." Her father told her kneeling down to look her in the eyes.

"I'm a fine sailor," the man continued, standing up, "been on the seas my whole life."

"Of course, you must." Caspian answered patting the man on the shoulder.

"Thank you," The man sighed in relief. Then his daughter latched onto his arm.

"Daddy," she whined, the girl was close to crying.

The man bent down to look at her again. "Have I ever not come back?" He pointed out gently. Father and daughter then embraced before departing. Gael sadly watched her father leave as her aunt cuddled the girl in her arms.

When they had reached the piers, Lord Bern caught up to them. "My king!" He called then quickly added, "and Queen," when he saw Camille.

"This was given to me by your father," he continued. "I hid it safely in a cave all these years." Bern held out a sword to them.

"It's an old Narnian sword." Camille observed.

"It was from the Golden Age. There are seven such swords, gifts from Aslan to protect Narnia. Your father entrusted them to us."

Bern handed the sword to Caspian. "Here take it and may it protect you."

The crowd erupted into a roar as Caspian took the sword. "Thank you my lord, we shall find your lost citizens." Caspian gave the Lord a nod then walked off to the boats with the others.

As Caspian walked towards the boats, he looked at Edmund. The boy could use a sword. "Edmund." Caspian called.

Edmund turned to look at him and Caspian handed the sword to Edmund with a little grin. Edmund took it gladly and raised it up to study it admiringly.

"Well, well, a fine sword it is. Needs some cleaning though." Camille stated the obvious when she came over. She winked at Edmund and then got into a boat.