✩ fσurtєєn ✩

✩✩ ✩✩ ✩✩ ✩✩ ✩✩

ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴏᴄᴛᴏʀ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ғᴏʀɢᴇᴛs

THE Doctor will never forget her tears. It was the last time he had seen her. Her lip trembling as if she had returned to her youth, knowing her last moments were upon her, the light of non-existence beginning to curl around her ankle, ready to swallow her from memory forever. The tears had spilt from her eyes, dripping from her chin, and as she stared back at him, she looked guilty.

She had nothing to feel guilty for, she and Rory had sacrificed themselves to save him and Amy, to save the world. They had done what had to be done because everybody wants to impress the Doctor. And it ruins them. He ruins them all.

Helping Vincent Van Gogh hadn't even helped. There was a split moment, a small bout of time to laugh, a little bit of happiness seeping through the cracks, but then he remembered that she wasn't there. Amy was holding onto his arm and laughing, flirting with Van Gogh. Then he remembered her. He remembered her sparkling eyes, her bubbling laughter, the way she would finish his thought as if she could read his mind.

Her own best friend couldn't even remember her, but the Doctor knew he could never forget her.

Even when Amy was stuck in the TARDIS in a materialisation loop, even when he was trying to figure out the time loop that wouldn't let his TARDIS land, even when he was sharing a flat with Craig Owens, the Doctor would go to sleep dreaming of the way her arms felt around his neck when she hugged him.

He knows it's too late, that she's gone forever, that Amy has forgotten her and Rory, and that she'll be gone from space and time forever. He can never go back to see her, never turn the clock to see her laughing one more time.

She's gone, and it's his fault.

But he cannot give up on Amy. He will not let the same thing happen to her.

"Where are we?" the redhead asks him once they land.

"Planet One. The oldest planet in the universe and there's a cliff of pure diamond, and, according to legend, on the cliff there's writing. Letters fifty feet high, a message from the dawn of time, and no one knows what it says, 'cause no one's ever translated it. 'Til today."