✩ тωєиту ✩

✩✩ ✩✩ ✩✩ ✩✩ ✩✩

ᴏғғ ᴛᴏ ᴊᴇғғᴇʀsᴏɴ, ᴀᴅᴀᴍs ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴀᴍɪʟᴛᴏɴ

sʜᴇ really does try to listen as she follows Amy, Rory and River into the diner from before, but it's difficult to think of anything but the way the fire curled into the sky. It's difficult to think about anything but the aching hole in her chest. River's talking about the invitations that they all received, how they're all numbered. 2 for River. 3 for Kate. 4 for the Ponds. 5 for Mr Delaware. She's trying to figure out who got invitation Number 1. She's trying to figure out who's missing, but Kate freezes by the table they were first sitting at.

"Why does it matter?" Kate asks, voice cold. She doesn't even sound like herself. She doesn't feel like herself. She's just cold. Cold and hollow and empty. He's gone. She's still here and she has to live without him. "He's dead. Nothing matters."

"It mattered to him," Rory is quick to argue. "So it matters to us."

"He still needs us." River appears in Kate's line of sight, taking a hold of the younger woman's cold hand. She's colder than usual. She didn't dress for the chill of the night time air, but that's not why she's so cold to the touch. River suppresses a shiver as she tugs Kate closer. There's no thrum of energy in her veins, no starlight sparkle shining off her skin. Her hair falls limp around her face, her eyes are dark circles in her head. Even the freckles on her skin just make her look sickly. This isn't Kate. This is just a woman moving through time. "I know. Kate, I know. But right now, we have to focus."

Amy's hand clamps down on Kate's shoulder, quick to squeeze her friend tight. Even Amy doesn't look as bright as usual. "It's going to be okay, Kate," Amy mumbles, pulling her friend into a tight hug. "It'll be fine." Kate slumps against her friend, too tired to hug her back, to empty to move her own limbs. Amy doesn't care, she just continues to hug her friend tight. Maybe they can share the rest of her life-force until this is over.

"Look," cuts in Rory, hitting their shoulders gently to force them apart. Amy keeps her arm locked around Kate's shoulder, not wanting to let go of her best friend. They follow his line of sight until they catch sight of a blue envelope and a half-drunk glass bottle of Coca Cola. The red and white striped straw hanging out the top of it makes Kate's heart jump slightly. River and Rory are quick to investigate, leaving Amy and Kate standing by the booth. She doesn't want to move, she doesn't want to investigate, she just wants to lie down and sleep. Amy won't leave her side.