XXIV

Banryu POV

I changed out of my hwarang outfit and left the hwarang house. I heard Areum was let out for the day so I wanted to try and find her.

I noticed Suho walking by. I was about to ask him about where Areum lives but I hesitated. He would probably question me and won't even tell me.

I mustered up the little courage I had and approached him. "Suho." I called out to him. He faced me. "What?" "Where does Areum live?" I asked straight up.

He took a step closer to me, looking at me up and down. "Why do you want to know?" he questioned. "I need to talk to her." "You've talked to her a lot already. What more do you need to tell her? Or is it because you're on your way to try and win her heart?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Are you her bodyguard? Why do you need to know? I just need to talk to her, it's that simple." Suho scoffed. "She lives in that small house down the road, if I hear that you do anything stupid to her I'll kill you." I rolled my eyes at his words and rushed over to Areum's house.

I reached the small gate in front of the home and called out her name. "Areum! Are you home?" The front door opened and Areum walked out. She looked up to see who it was and her eyes widened a bit when she met eyes with mine.

She opened the gate and let me in. "Banryu? What are you doing here." she asked me. "I wanted to talk to you about the other night." I hesitated to bring the topic up.

"Look Banryu-" "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up like that. It seemed like you didn't even know." I apologized. Areum smiled softly at me. "It's alright and yeah. I didn't know, but who told you that?" I gulped. I didn't want to tell her my father did, she could possibly hate me after.

"M-my father." I stuttered. "Oh. How does he know?" "I have no idea, he always has a way to get into everyone's business." I say through my clenched jaw. Just thinking of my father's cruel acts made me angry.

"You've been living under his control for so long Banryu." Areum says which made me look into her eyes. "You're always being controlled by him, doing everything he wants even though you don't like it." she held my hand which made my heart flutter.

"Banryu, you don't have to live under his power anymore. You can make your own decisions." My tears suddenly started to fill up with tears. I didn't want to look weak so I looked away from her.

"Banryu..." she called out to me softly. She placed her soft hand on my cheek and turned my face towards her. "It's okay to show your emotions. You don't have to bottle up your feelings." My body relaxed and my head calmed down. When I'm with her it always seemed like the world had stopped and it was just Areum and I.

"I told you before, I'll always be here for you and to help you." I started to smile at her and she smiled back. How beautiful her smile is.

"Do you want to come inside?" she asked. I nodded and she led me into her home. "You want anything to eat or drink." "No thank you." I simply said. She sat at the table with me.

Areum POV

"Banryu?" "Hm?" "Can I trust you?" I asked. "If I can live without having to be controlled like a puppet by my father, which I will do. Then yes, you can trust." I chuckled and nodded.

"I want to tell you a big secret I have." I whispered. "What is it?" "You must promise to never tell anyone." I say sternly. "Promise." Banryu says. "Alright. My parents were killed by the queen. Me and my brother lived but my brother fell ill not too long after. I have been living on my own for 17 years, but that night we encountered those thieves on our way to Baekje. My mother was there. When we saved them, my mother was brought back here. My mother is alive and we want to avenge our family." I explained. "What are you going to do?" Banryu questioned.

-Flashback-

"Areum, you're home!" my mother exclaimed. "Yeah, someone told me that you were looking for me. Mother, you have to be more careful with your identity." I say to her.

"Okay okay I will but I need to tell you something." she said quickly. "What is it?" "I remembered something else when you were gone." I leaned closer to hear what she had to say.

"I was banned from my family along with my brother. My sister is the only one who remained in the family." my mother started. "Okay..? What does this have to do with me?" I asked. "My sister is the queen. You're a half breed. When I married your father, my family was enraged and disowned me." she continued.

"Areum, this is a good chance." My mother held my hand but I shook my head. "That won't be possible, I'm a half breed, even if I have the blood of a sacred bone I still have the blood of a lowly man."

"It doesn't matter, she will still feel threatened if you try. I know you can do this, who cares about this bone rank." My mother insisted. I pondered on the idea for a bit before opening my mouth again. "Fine, I'll do it."

-Present-

"I'm going to take her throne." I smirked. Banryu was about to speak until the front door slid open. "Mother, you're home." I greeted her. She kept her mask up and looked at Banryu. "You're the man from before." she says and Banryu nods.

"Areum, what is he doing here?" "Mother, he knows. I told him everything." I said and her eyes widened. "Why? He could tell someone-" "I won't. I promise." Banryu interrupts her. "Mother, you take off your mask." I giggle.

She hesitantly pulls the cloth down. "What is your name?" my mother questioned. "Banryu." he responded awkwardly. "You better not tell anyone, if you do I'll kill-" "Mother!" I shout.

"I was kidding, not really but yeah." My mother grinned leaving Banryu quite intimidated. "Don't mind her." I whispered to Banryu which made him chuckle.

There was a small silence that filled the room before Banryu broke it. "I think I can help you guys."

a/n: ik this chapter is kinda short cuz it's just sort of a filler chapter so imma prolly post another chapter later today hopefully <333