Set The World On Fire

Eli paces the floor of his bedroom as he tries to come up with some way to start over. He's looking around at the pictures, the decor, the bed, and his desk.

I got to change something. All I see is Raven. She leaped through this window onto this bed. She looked at my pictures. She talked about my trophy. How do I go about changing anything when she is everywhere I look?

Eli scratches his head; I got an idea.

He begins shuffling through his room grabbing things, his safe - his cork board - the bag with Raven's handmade necklace - his trophy - his laptop - his tub of licenses plates. He takes the items and places them on the back porch of the house and makes his way to the metal barn.

He proceeds through the door and grabs a gas jug, completely full of gas and heads back toward his bedroom. Once inside he begins pouring gas on everything, along his bed, his desk, in his closet, and all along the floor. He walks outside and pours it along the walls, the window seals, and the outline of the building.

Eli walks over and lays the jug down on the back porch of the house and lights a cigarette.

If you can't forget about her, you have to get rid of this shit.

He flicks his cigarette at the house and it burst into flames. The paint begins to curl up, and the wood cracks as it burns. Minutes pass by and the roof caves in and the walls collapse, his room is gone, only pieces of metal laying around still engulfed in flames.

Eli sits on the porch, sipping on a Monster Energy Drink and smoking a cigarette, smiling as everything turns to ash.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Eve came running outside.

"I'm burning down my memories. Let this baby burn. Take a deep breath, do you smell that? That's sweet freedom!"

"Eli, this is not what I meant!" Ocean yells as she rushes out not long after Eve. "You can't just go burning down everything that reminds you of Raven!"

"I beg to differ." Eli jumps up, grabs the gas jug and heads toward the gazebo.

"Eli stop!" Eve grabs his arm and tries pulling him back to the porch, but he pulls his arm from her grip.

He walks inside the gazebo and looks around. He starts to imagine the night him and Raven were there, making love under the moonlight. He thinks about how complete he felt, and how she looked at him like she was seeing him for the first time. He thinks about the way she arched her back, and how she pulled him deeper into her. He thinks about her climax, and then his own.

Eli took a seat on one of the benches inside and rests his forehead in his hands propped against his knees.

"I can't do it."

"You don't have to Eli." Eve says.

"Why would you want to burn down the gazebo?" Ocean asks out of curiosity.

"This is where we made love for the first time."

Ocean leans over and hugs Eli around his neck.

"Don't do it, she wouldn't want you to."

Hours pass and all that remain from the room is metal from his desk, burnt up wood scatters here and there, burnt curtain rods folded up, and a few random things.

That's how you get shit done.

Eli, Eve and Ocean are sitting on the front porch, steak is cooking on the grill, and the moonlight shines behind some clouds.

"Mind if I sleep in the house tonight, sis?" Eli laughs.

"Like you have a choice."

Eli gets up to flip the steaks, but stares down the road at a black Suburban coming down the road, his heart starts to race and his knees get weak. That's not them. Stay focused.

The Suburban sped by their house blaring some country music and Eli exhales loudly. She's not coming back.

Once the steaks are done and everyone sat around eating and talking about the weather and whatnot, Eli gets up and heads down the porch steps.

"I'll be right back."

Eli makes his way to the back of the house, where his room once was. He sits on the ground and stares up at the sky.

I'm gonna make you happy. I'm gonna rebuild a bigger and better future. I'm going to be a man worth the time of day. Maybe one day you will see it and build with me. A man can only hope.

He glances over to the gazebo, it's empty but full of memories. Not just any memories, but memories that will change his life forever.

Eli pulls out his phone and opens the picture of him and Raven next to the fireplace. Her smile brighter than he had ever seen. I'm gonna make you proud.

Eli kisses his index and middle finger and places them on her face.

My dearest Raven. I love you.