Progressive Expansion

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."

― Aristotle

Renovations of Raven's salon begin almost immediately that mid-September. Eli contracts the work to Carl Banks, who has more of his guys come up from another state to work on the project. They were building a house down there and for some reason the owner hit the pause button on the project. That is good luck for Eli as Carl Banks already has the majority of his guys working on his estate.

They rip the entire floor out of the old building on Albany, bust out all the dry walls inside, and toss each scrap pieces in the dumpster they set up next to the building. As that is happening, some men are on the roof, throwing tear off over the ledge into the same dumpster. It is complete destruction inside until after September closes. That's when the fun begins for Eli. They place down the new dark walnut hard wood floors, and add in some rooms in the back. Eli pays extra to add in some luxuries for his bride to be. She has a standing shower, large leather couch and recliner, with a massive HD television mounted on the wall. The fresh paint makes it all feel real, light pink with wooden trims and baseboards.

That is only for her section, her own little private area in the back. The customers would be greeted to the romantic burgundy walls, and again wooden baseboards and trim. They also had a nice wall mounted television set up over on the left side of the wall as you enter. All the bells and whistles that any young inspiring beautician can day dream about, he made sure was in there. The sun is just beginning to set on the fifth day of October when Raven pulls into the parking lot of her new business. She is greeted to an amazing sight. Her new building suspends by the background of the fall leaves.

That old cracked paint has long been scraped off.

The outside of the building is painted burgundy, and freshly painted images of ravens flew from the low left of the building to the high right and the large window on the left side of the new swinging doors is inscribed:

Welcome to

RAVEN'S PLACE

The decal work was done by local artists by the names of Naomi and Brendan Carpenter. Husband and wife team. Eli found them to be brilliant and funny.

"I can't believe this is mine!" Raven jumps up and down with excitement. "This is one of the best things I've ever seen!"

"Are we moving here?" Elijah jumps up and down with her.

"No, sweetie. This is where mommy wants to work."

"Yay!" Elijah laughs and kicks the gravels.

They walk up to the door and Raven completely frozen at the beauty of it all. Even though all these things are happening to Raven - quite all at once really, it still hasn't had time to sink in that this is her life now. Her own business, and a loving boyfriend who would die for her, and her son seems to never be happier. Young Elijah tugs on his dark hair as she ushers him in through the front door. The hardwood shining, the sinks all lined up in a roll. This could be the start of my legacy. Why stop here? Why not have another and another one. Eli afforded me the opportunity on Albany. But from here forward all that I will have I want from the success of this place. It's been a long time since I've been in a situation where I can dream my own dreams. Leo always provided but only just enough. His money was considered his money unless it was essential. Eli invest in me because he believes in my dreams, and yet after all he's already done - I find another reason to love him.

Raven sits in one of her chairs in front of a large mirror, and bends forward placing her face in her hands. She couldn't control her excitement for the future. There is a glow inside herself again that is contagious.