TWENTY-NINE

Instead of waiting until the morning to search for April, Willow had spent the rest of her evening trying to get in touch with anyone April might have had contact with. The hotel said she had checked out right on time. The people from the airport said her flight had been delayed, but arrived Sunday morning at nine. Trying to get in touch with someone from the office in Beijing was a little more stressful. But they assured her that she had attended all of the meetings and given an amazing presentation.

Willow called out of work, saying she had some unexpected errands to run. It was somewhat true. She asked if anyone had heard from April just for her boss to inform her that there was still no word. The jerk even issued a threat towards April's job for her to pass on.

If I can't get in touch with her, what makes you think she'll get your sorry message?

If she could have slammed the phone, she would have. Instead, she settled for pushing the "end" button so hard, she thought she'd break the screen. She tossed the phone down and got dressed, determined to get some answers.

Flying out of her apartment, she headed straight to the cab sitting at the curb. She could see the driver drumming his fingers against the steering wheel, chomping on something as if his life depended on it. He gave her a "where to" when she jumped in.

"Police station."

He arched an eyebrow and straightened in his seat. "Okay." She watched him check his mirrors before pulling out into the flow of traffic.

Once at her destination, Willow handed him the payment and got out. Making her way to the entrance, she felt nervous and unsure. What if they can't do anything? What if they won't?

The place was loud and hectic when she walked in. A woman about her age must have caught on that she was out of her element. "How may I help you?"

Willow jerked at the gentle hand on her shoulder, calming down when she realized it was an officer. "I...I uh need to file...a missing person..." She struggled to get the sentence out.

"Okay. Just take a seat right here. I'll be back in a minute to help you." The lady led her to a desk nearby before leaving her alone.

Willow jiggled her legs, impatient for the woman to come back. It felt like hours before the officer returned.

"Okay. My name is Officer Spencer. Who are you wanting to report missing?"

"My best friend. Her name is April Wooten." Willow tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. The woman's voice was gentle and had a calming effect on her.

Officer Spencer scribbled on a form while she continued her questioning. "Why do you think she's missing?"

"She hasn't called me or sent any texts. I've asked our boss if she called or something and he hasn't heard anything from her either." Willow was sitting on the edge of the chair, twisting her hands together.

"Have any of you made an attempt to contact her?" Officer Spencer kept her voice level.

"Of course I have. Several times." Willow frowned, not sure if the woman thought she was stupid or not.

"Is there any reason why she wouldn't be able to be reached?"

"Not that I know of."

"Is there any possibility of foul play?" The officer was staring at Willow now.

"You mean...oh my gosh, I hope not. I didn't even consider that." Panic clutched her throat as her eyes darted between the paper and the officer.

"What about her closest of kin? Why are you here and not them? Do they live in another state?"