THIRTY-TWO

He hadn't given Bailey his real name. It wasn’t possible; he couldn't even remember what his given name was. Before walking into the cafe the day she'd asked him out, he'd seen a guy wearing a Samuel Adams shirt. When she asked him his name, the shirt was the first thing that popped into his head. Later, he added Thompson as his surname. 

Early on, she started asking questions - where are you from? What’s your family like? What kind of work do you do? He had moved there from Rochester, New York, he grew up with his grandfather, he enjoyed handyman type work, especially since he'd never wanted to go to college. 

Bailey seemed satisfied with what he'd given her and it wasn’t hard to pretend. While he’d lied about most of it, there was still some truth behind what he’d told her. It made keeping up with the lie easier. 

She was an open book and he didn’t have to pry for answers. She shared everything with him from her first impression of a jawbreaker to what scared her about losing her virginity.

The last topic had been a shock to him, yet he found it satisfying that she had decided to wait for marriage. He added his own fears on the topic, realizing they were in fact real.

They had spent several nights curled up on her couch watching various types of movies or sitting on her pedestal porch as they sipped frappes and talked.

He had never felt a connection to any woman. He couldn't even remember a pleasant memory of his own mother.

The best thing she had ever done was to leave him with his grandfather for the day and never return to pick him up. He didn't recall being sad. He didn't think he'd ever asked if she was coming back.

When she did return, it was during the funeral preparations with his dad on her arm, to see what she'd been left. His father was just as bad. He'd been in and out of his life since the day he was born. He didn't know why his parents didn't want him and he didn't care. 

The only person who had ever mattered to him, besides Bailey, was his grandfather. And that was all he needed. 

He wanted to dote on Bailey and her birthday was coming up, but he didn't know what to do for her. She was being very tight-lipped about what she wanted. He feared that he was missing any signs she might have been giving. He only hoped she wouldn't be too upset with him. After all, she did know this was his first real relationship.

And that brought on a whole new fear. What if she decided to call things off because of his inexperience? All he knew was how to fake it all. What if she felt that he was faking?

But when he thought about it, everything with Bailey came easily. He could talk to her or sit with her in silence; whatever her heart desired. He didn't have to pretend at all.

So to try to be the best boyfriend in the world, he decided to ask Sasha for help. She would know what Bailey wanted.

He tapped his fingers against the cheap plastic cup as he waited for her to show up. This was his third tea and he had to use the restroom. But he was sure if he got up, she'd decide to make her appearance while he was away. 

The bell over the door tinkled and he sighed. Sasha walked in, looking around until she spotted him.

The expression she wore suggested to him that she hadn't expected him to be there. That annoyed him. He didn't set things up just to flake out.

"Hey." She tossed her jacket onto the booth before sliding in. The table wobbled when her hip bumped against it.

"Hi." He sat straight, clutching the cup. "Thanks for being on time." He rolled his eyes before glancing toward the waitress.

"Excuse me. Traffic." Sasha returned the sentiment and chose to look out the windows.

"What can I get ya, dear?" The waitress was a bubbly woman with a heavy Southern accent. She had her notepad in hand and her pen poised, ready to take Sasha's order.

"A lemonade and a slice of pecan pie." Sasha beamed at the woman.

"Yes ma'am. And you? Sure you just want tea?" He could hear the concern in her voice.

"I guess a plate of fries." His stomach grumbled as he watched a waiter walk by with a tray of food.

"Okie dokie. I'll have it to ya shortly." She took off, a woman with a purpose.

"So...what did you want?" 

"To the point." He raised an eyebrow, somewhat impressed.

"Yeah. I don't see any point in delaying whatever it is you wanted." She shrugged and flashed the waitress a smile as her lemonade was placed in front of her.

"I need help."

She quirked an eyebrow at him, taking her time to unwrap her straw. "Like, shrink type help?"

He gave her an annoyed glance.

"Cuz, I don't think I can help you much."

"Ha. Ha."

"Okay. What do you need help with?"

"Getting Bailey's birthday present." He felt his cheeks flush as he lowered his face to stare at the melting ice.

"What did you get her that you need help with?" Curiosity flashed in her eyes.

"You misunderstand."

Sasha made a sarcastic shocked face. "Well excuse me."

"I don't know what to get her." 

"Hmm." Sasha held an index finger to her chin, looking up as if she were deep in thought. "Well, I know she really wants to go to see Skillet next month."

"Really? That would be fun."

"But I was planning to take her." She gave him a teasing smile.

"Then why tell me? I need an idea for me, not you."

Sasha gave him a pointed look. "You can always figure this out on your own."

"Enjoy." The waitress slid the fries and pie onto the table.

"Thank you." He grabbed his plate and began to shake salt and pepper over the crispy potatoes.

"Smells good. Maybe I should have gotten some too." 

"They are good." He nodded as he chomped on several fries. "Yes. You should have." 

Sasha gave him a sneer before stabbing her fork into her pie. "Ooh. This is so good."

They spoke in between bites before he excused himself. When he returned, Sasha suggested they get a piercing or tattoo together.

"Are you serious?" While the idea wasn't lost on him, he wasn't sure he wanted anything like that.

She just shrugged and licked the remnants of pecan pie filling off the fork. "I mean, she and I have best friend tattoos. You could do a boyfriend-girlfriend tattoo. Or piercings. How about it? You up for getting your nipples pierced?" She wiggled her eyebrows at him before bursting into laughter.

He shook his head and grabbed the check. "I don't think so."

"Why not? You know hers are, right?" She had a knowing look as she leaned toward him. 

He paused, unsure why Sasha was teasing him this way. "She does not." We may not have had sex yet, but we have done other things for me to know what parts of her are pierced or tattooed. 

Sasha laughed as she followed him to the register, shoving a ten at the cashier before he could hand the employee his money.  "Just take her out to a nice restaurant." 

"I don't know." He shook his head and held the door open for her. But it did give him an idea that might be a little more romantic and personal.

"Look, you know Bailey isn't materialistic. She will adore anything you do for her."

He nodded in agreement, his mind already working on what he planned to do.

Sasha called out her goodbye before hightailing it down the sidewalk. 

He paid her no attention as his mind worked out everything he needed to do to be ready for Bailey's birthday in a week.