[18] : black lake

✧

"any bets? any bets?" fred and george weasely said, walking past hydra as she walked with daphne while neville, ginny, and luna were far ahead, neville giving harry a plant that would help him breathe underwater. hydra should've told harry to go to neville in the first place - that boy was brilliant in so many different ways but people constantly overlooked that.

"so you and draco are really dating now?" daphne asked, eyeballing the boy who was walking in front of them with crabbe and goyle at his side. hydra's heart melted every time she caught a glance of his side profile. nodding swiftly, hydra averted her gaze. although she'd been involved with people romantically in the past, no one had ever actually called her their girlfriend. she felt euphoric because of it.

as they stepped onto the boat to take them to the observation decks, daphne whispered," are you planning on telling bill?" she hadn't even thought of that. bill would be supportive of course, but there was still discourse with the malfoys for a number of reasons. "god, i probably will next time i see him but the last thing i need right now is for bill to go all dad mode on draco. it would scar me for life." hydra muttered, smiling as her eyes caught draco's across the boat.

she hoped that they could be this happy for a while.

after the boat ride full of romantic glances with draco and whispers with daphne was over, they arrived at a giant tower-like structure with several hanging decks overlooking the lake. her and daphne climbed to one of the higher decks to be near neville and dean while draco trailed behind, staying towards the other end. if there was one thing hydra wished was different about their relationship, it was that draco didn't have such an intense hatred for most of her friends.

dumbledore began introducing the second task before a cannon blasted, signalling the beginning of the task. all four champions dove into the water, disappearing into the depths of the lake. dean wrapped his arms around daphne who was gleefully smiling while hydra stood next to neville curiously. a few seconds passed and dean, daphne, and seamus peered over the edge to look for harry.

"where is he?" daphne asked, looking between the boys. neville's eyes widened as he announced," oh my god. i've killed harry potter."

hydra was about to open her mouth to say something before harry did a grand flip out of the water, making neville turn around and breath a sigh of relief. the two slytherin girls and the other two gryffindor boys all laughed in glee while neville's mouth hung open. draco watched from afar as his new girlfriend smiled gleefully before making a crude comment about potter to his friends.

"have you guys seen hermione and ron?" hydra asked, looking at the boys who all shook their heads. she furrowed her eyesbrows before standing up and walking over to draco. he excused himself from crabbe and goyle before smiling widely at her. it was like he was a different person around her. she pecked his cheek slightly before the pair walked hand in hand to the railing to get a look at the lake.