[19] : greengrass

✧

a few days since hydra and draco had discovered a piece in the puzzle that was their mothers' history, daphne, neville, and malinda accompanied hydra in an empty classroom. setting a piece of paper on a desk, neville promptly backed up, looking to hydra at the front of the room. she looked to her friends who were watching eagerly before redirecting her attention to the paper.

"i don't think i can do this..." she started, chewing on the inside of her lip.

daphne tapped her nails on the desk she was sitting on while petting malinda with her other hand, saying," hy, you've gotta learn how to use fire without anger. you know your parents could do it at the snap of their fingers so surely you can too. what if you just want to light a cigarette when you're relaxed and not even remotely angry? you got this."

the pendragon girl looked to her best friend and asked," how do you know i smoke?" she thought she hid her cigarettes well enough no one would find them. "please, you always smell like smoke after you disappear during the day. it wasn't hard to put two and two together." daphne laughed, making hydra's eyebrows furrow as she looked to neville defensively. he just nodded in agreement with daphne.

"whatever." hydra muttered, focusing her attention back on paper. she knew that she would have to turn this into something she could do easily rather than thinking so hard about it. 'just relax. drop your shoulders, unclench your jaw, deep breaths.' she thought to herself, calming herself. she tried not to think too hard as she looked at the paper. the thought of the paper being lit on fire appeared in her mind as she snapped her fingers. the paper, however, didn't even move, let alone light on fire.

hydra rolled her eyes and looked at her friends who were still being supportive. "i told you this wouldn't work. i can't learn in a day..." she said defeatedly.

"well.." neville started," you said that you've affected fire when you were upset over malinda and when you were happy with draco so it happens whenever you feel intense emotions, right?"

hydra nodded and daphne looked up abruptly," i've got it! just try thinking nothing!"

"dude." hydra muttered, smiling slightly.

daphne sat up and straightened out her posture, making malinda stand up and hop to neville's lap who was caught off guard but pet the cat nonetheless. the blonde girl began," no, like... it didn't work just now because you were nervous. you know it works when you feel overwhelmed with emotion so the key to doing it without being overwhelmed might be not thinking about it at all? i don't know. i'm sort of talking out of my ass but can you humor me? just do it without thinking."

hydra rolled her eyes and continued to stare at daphne, raising her hand and snapping her fingers exaggeratedly, feeling like the two people in the room were of no help. she wished dylan was there.