chapter eight

"Jungkook!" A voice called to him, pulling him from his thoughts, "Are you alright? Breathe for me."

He recognized the deep voice, it was one he had grown fond of over the last twenty-four hours. His hands were shaking, whole body convulsing, "I- I'm fine..."

"Evidently not!" Taehyung slipped down in front of him, massaging both shoulders as Jungkook tried to come to terms with what the fuck just happened. The motion was soothing, relaxing, it did seem to calm his nerves and the adrenaline that was pacing through his body.

"I- I'm fine!" He said it again.

"You want me to grab you a water? Or maybe a damp cloth?" The older boy felt the back of his hand rub against the boy's forehead, checking to make sure he was less flushed than he had been a moment ago, "That was quite the ambush..."

Jungkook felt his breathing pick up again, his head placed between his knees as he tried to slow it down once again, "Wh- What am I supposed to say? What am I supposed to do?" His thoughts were completely jumbled on top of one another, "They pull a stunt like this and for what? They think I'll just come right back!" Now the tips of his ears were red, his pulse screaming through every inch of his body with rage.

"You are completely allowed to say no!" Taehyung had reassuring and kind eyes, the same ones as his Father, "But think about all your reasoning's, your feelings, weigh it all before you come to a final decision."

Taehyung wondered why he was saying such a thing. Was it because he truly felt that any ounce of Jungkook should take over the family business? After the shit, he had been put though it seemed unlikely that he would want to or that he should feel obligated to but for some reason, the prospect of having Jungkook around in New York seemed incredibly enticing and appealing. The two could share lunch at each other's offices, attend formal dinners with their significant others, they could swap horror stories about assistants who were dreadful and those who were grand. They could fly first class, business trips to Europe at the same time, climb mountains to stay in shape, share the presidential suite in any hotel they opted for- wow, he was getting carried away now. He refocused his energies on the beautiful boy in front of him. He really was delicate, pale milky skin, defined features, the sweetest little freckle at the base of his lip. He looked so devilishly handsome yet entirely innocent and angelic at the same time, nothing like Jisoo did or like any other member of his family for that matter. He was very much so his own person.

Taehyung's eyes studied Jungkook for a reaction of anger at the words but he found none. Jungkook was hardly reacting at all, finding his calm in the midst of the storm.

His figure stood from the ground, nervously grabbing Tae's shoulder as a way to express his gratitude. No words needed to be said as they embraced in a hug that would seem uncomfortable to most but for some reason, they felt like two lost souls connected. It was like upon first glance they had an immediate feeling that they were destined to meet and be comforted by one another, like they shared something deeper. Besides, Jungkook needed to be held for a minute, before he went back out to what could only be described as hell on earth.

Tae could recognize this, his long digits stroking his back up and down, soothing him as he let out the final breaths that would stabilize his heart rate enough for him to say his piece.

"I apologize for my outburst- the one you just witnessed and the one that is still to come." Jungkook said the words so playfully, as though the matter wasn't deep and problematic and terrifying.

Taehyung shushed him, pulling back to make sure that he was alright one final time, "No need to apologize. I would have done more than you if I was in your shoes, I'm sure."