Chapter 14

Lan Wangji had been watching over Wei Wuxian without rest for two days, until he had made up his mind to join everyone on heading to burial mounds without him. He knew if they waited for him to regain consciousness he would head straight over there without thinking of his health.

 “Hanguan-Jun, don’t worry I will watch over him.” 

With a slight smile he nodded before planting a light kiss on his forehead. 

Once everyone was ready they made their way over to Burial Mounds. 

The fluttering of something red caught Lan Sizhui's eyes, making him turn his sight to Lan Wangji. Wrapped around his wrist was the familiar red ribbon that belonged to Wei Wuxian. A small smile graced his lips before acting as if he had not seen the red ribbon.

Stepping into burial mounds, their surroundings were clouded by a dense fog.

"I-I can't see anything! Someone hold my hand!" Ouyang Zizhen shouted and grabbed the first hand he could find.

Xue Yang starred in disgust at the hand before pushing him onto Wen Ning who could only sigh and let the boy hold onto his robes.

As they walked deeper in the fog lifted slightly until they could see their surroundings. Loud groans and screams could be heard. “We’re surrounded!” Not only were they being attacked by corpses they were also being attacked by the masked people.

The sound of clashing swords were heard all around concealing the cynical laugh in the distance.

A-Qing had been keeping a close eye on Wei Wuxian yet when she returned from feeding lil’ Apple she heard the sound of something crashing. “Young master Wei are you awake?” 

Without a response she opened the door to find Wei Wuxian looking around confused. “Where am I?”

“You’re in Yi city, did you forget?”

When he turned around to face her his kind silver eyes had shifted into a deep red color. 

“Why?”

“Everyone left to burial mounds to rescue their friends and family.” This made him even more confused

“Who is everyone?”

“Hanguan-Jun, Jin Ling, Ouyang Zizhen,  and all the other young disciples from the other clans.” The only name that he seemed to recognize was..

“Lan Zhan” Without another word he flew out of the window and made his way to burial mounds.

Their fight had gone on for hours, the young disciples could feel exhaustion pulling them down, yet the corpses wouldn’t end. 

For the first time in their lives they had never been so grateful to hear the sound of the flute when all the corpses began attacking each other. 

“Wei Ying..” From the time Wei Wuxian had returned he hadn’t used demonic cultivations making Lan Wangji instantly know something was wrong. 

Yet before he could even make his way over two familiar people made their way in front of him wielding their swords ready to attack. “Xichen..Uncle” 

“Father?” Jin Ling stared confused as his father pointed his blade at him. ‘This..this isn’t father.’

“If I were you I wouldn’t move or your dear family will attack you.” The masked man's menacing laugh echoed around.

“Who are you?” Wei Wuxian stared confused at everyone. “Already forgot me so soon Wei. Wu.Xian.” The way he spoke his name sent disgusting shudders down his spine. “I'll do you a favor now Wei Wuxian I will let you die by the hands of the family you loved and trusted once again!” In seconds his adoptive family held their blades pointed at his throat.

“Wei Ying!” His eyes glanced down at Lan Wangji before he sneered in frustration. “Lan Wangji mind your business!” At his words it finally clicked Wei Wuxian had lost his memories and most likely had lost his connection with JianYu. Anxiety filled him at the thought his Wei Ying had once again began to despise him. ‘No, not again. Wei Ying I will make you remember.’ Yet as he tried to take a step in his direction the blade of his brother clashed against his own.

“Hehe Hanguan-Jun be ready to watch him die before your eyes once again.” 

Many thoughts were coursing their minds yet no one dared to move. That is until Wen Ning and Chifeng-Zun attacked the people under control. “Hanguan-Jun, go to young master Wei.” Without having to be told twice he stopped the blades from hitting him. “Go Away!”

“No” With frustration and confusion coursing through him Wei Wuxian placed Chenqing to his lips and played a melody halting their movements.

This caused the masked man to curse out loud. Wei Wuxian had the ability to control the resentful energy that his master placed into the controlled people.

“Hurry up and kill them!” As if they heard  his command their bodies twitched but didn’t move.

“Useless! Everyone is useless!” Fueled with rage the masked man unsheathed his sword and aimed it in Wei Wuxian’s direction.’I was told not to kill you..but he never mentioned injuring’ Yet his sword was pushed back by Bichen. “You! You! You! It’s always you stopping me from taking him!” 

“You’re not qualified to talk to me.”

Those simple words were enough to push him over the edge.

His movements were swift, yet no matter how fast he tried to aim at Wei Wuxian he was stopped by Lan Wangji. In the end he was the one injured and was forced to retreat.

Without a single glance towards Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian placed Chenqing to his lips and forced the resentful energy out of everyone’s bodies and into his. He knew how dangerous his actions were but if he let the resentful energy be it would get out of control and hurt people.

As soon as the resentful energy left their bodies everyone had regained consciousness and looked around confused. “Where are we?” Jiang Yanli held on tightly to her mother fearing she would fall off the roof.

“I think we’re in burial mounds.” Jiang Cheng glanced around making sure everyone he cared for was alright before his eyes landed on his brother who looked pale.

“Wei-” 

“Don’t touch me!” The pale Wei Wuxian took a step back away from Jiang Cheng. He could see his adoptive family was alive yet he felt the pain of betrayal in his heart seeing Jiang Cheng. To them it had been more than 13 years since everything happened, but to Wei Wuxian he was only 17 facing death once again.

“What the hell's wrong with you?!” Jiang Cheng’s shout grabbed everyone’s attention making them stare in confusion.

The once cold eyes of the Yiling Patriarch were now filled with tears. Each step he took away from him, Jiang Cheng took one forward until his back hit Lan wangji’s chest. A strange feeling filled his chest as he stared up at the familiar golden eyes. It had been a long time since he felt like a weak child who wanted nothing more than to be spoiled by his loved ones, Yet as he smelled the familiar sandals wood scent he couldn’t help but show his weak side.

 “Lan..Zhan, take me away from here.” His voice came out with a slight tremble as blood trickled down his lips before he fell unconscious in his arms.

“Mn..” Listening to his wish he took the unconscious Wei Wuxian into his arms and flew back to Gusu ignoring the shouts of everyone.

“That idiot child! Where does he think he’s going!?” 

“Please calm down uncle, he most likely took him back to Gusu.” Lan Xichen calmed his uncle before making his way over to Jiang Cheng who was left alone on the roof while his family pestered Jin Ling making sure he was ok.

“Lan Huan..I think Wei Wuxian lost his memories of this life. I don’t know what happened in his last life to make him look so fragile.” Lan Xichen placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. “For now we should go home, Wangji is with him, nothing will happen to him.” With a nod Jiang Cheng and his family went back to Yunmeng While the Lans went back to Gusu Lan.