Chapter 9: The Sword of Damocles

Frank had officially began conducting his experiment. The lights were flashing. Janet was scared, as usual. I was fascinated. Then suddenly, the creature moves. It puts their hand on the edge of the tank. Frank gasps. I'm speechless... it's MOVING? HOW? I didn't doubt the fact that Frank knew what he was doing, but wow. It actually worked. The creature is standing now. Seems pretty "dependent" considering it was just born. Riff Raff rips the bandage off the creature's head. He's gorgeous. Don't get me wrong, I'm not attracted to him. He looks too naïve looking for my liking, but he was just born, so maybe that explains it? Or maybe that's Frank's type... Damn my "delinquent" appearance.

"OH, ROCKY!" I take it Frank is pleased. "Rocky" on the other hand, not so much. He had spent at least 2 minutes running away from Frank. Who would do that? I certainly wouldn't. Rocky is now in his "tank" and Frank caught up to him. "Well, that's no way to behave on your first day out!" Rocky was giving puppy-dog eyes. Again, too "naïve" for my liking, but whatever, it's obviously not my choice. Frank caved in. "But... as you're such an exceptional beauty... I'm prepared to forgive you!" Everyone cheers, including Brad and Janet. I suppose that's my cue to clap as well. I join in.

"Oh! I just love success?" I'd love it if we got to know each other more, but yeah. "He's a credit to your genius, master!" Riff said building up Frank's confidence. "Yes!" "A triumph of your will!" Magenta continued. "Yes!" "He's okay!" Columbia said all giddy. Frank glared at her. "Okay?" he asked quietly. He slammed his hand on the edge of the tank. "OKAY? I think we can do better than THAT!" he huffed. He grabbed Rocky's arm and approached me. Dammit. "Rose... what do you think of him?" I don't want to say the wrong thing. So instead of saying what I'm actually thinking, I try to appease to him. "Impressive. Really." ARE YOU SERIOUS, THAT'S what you decided to say? It seems to have worked though, he moved on to Brad and Janet without getting upset. "Brad and Janet... How about you?" Brad looked like he didn't want to say anything. Janet said embarrassingly, "Well, I don't like men with too many muscles." As funny as that was towards Brad; Janet, you dumbass. "I didn't make him for YOU!" he snarled. "He carries the Charles Atlas seal of approval."