Chapter 1: Double Standards

We exit the church. Everyone crowds the entrance. They gather around to pose for a group picture with newlyweds Betty and Ralph Hapschatt, I step out of the way though, I wouldn't want to be the odd one in the picture. Although the priest is giving weird vibes. It's probably just my imagination.

I didn't even want to come to the wedding, I'm not that close to Betty and Ralph. I'm just here because it was my mother's wish to spend more time with my sister, Janet. We were already close, but mom wanted us inseparable. A part of me thinks she just wanted me to be more like Janet and being near her would get rid of my "delinquent" ways. I don't even do anything bad. She just doesn't like the fact that I don't fit with the social norms, which are changing every day, might I add. Her and Janet seem to be sticking to the past, not giving themselves over to urbanized communities, like I am. Truly living life to the fullest. Or so I thought.

As I was standing there, observing everyone at a distance, I noticed Brad and Ralph talking. I never accepted Brad into the family like my mother and father have. It's not that he wasn't a good guy, it's just the fact that he was too good. He did seem like an asshole deep down though, everyone else just didn't see it like I did. Same with my sister, there's more to her than meets the eye, I know it... I guess it's just because I'm different. I notice people's flaws more than others. A change in his mood caught my attention. It seems as though Ralph said something that caused him to go deep in thought, like he was planning something. His concentration broke, as well as mine, when we heard the Hapschatt's car pull over by the entrance.

I quickly walked over to Brad. "Hey asshole, how are you doing?" Brad was already annoyed with my presence. "Why do you keep calling me that?" He sighed. "Calling you what? Asshole? 'Cause you are one. Now, you didn't answer my question. How are you doing?" "Why do you care?" He looked askance. "See there you go being an asshole again. I was ASKING because you seem worried, is something wrong?" He avoided my gaze. "Nothing's wrong just... Janet caught the bouquet..." "So?" "SO, you know the tradition with catching the brides' bouquets." I wanted to laugh, "Seriously? And here I was being genuinely concerned for you. First of all, you don't have to follow that. Second of all, if you're taking that as a sign, I mean, go ahead. My parents love you, you're good for Janet, there's nothing stopping you, not even me. I want what is best for my sister, and right now, it seems to be you, so go ahead." He looked shocked by my words. "You really mean it?" I gave him an annoyed look, "Yes, I mean it. By the way, this is the ONLY time I'm gonna be nice to you, so don't get used to it." He gave me a side hug as he waved Betty and Ralph goodbye.