Chapter 26 -Spilling

(Y/n) went to the hospital. Several days later she is discharged. The doctor didn't really believe it at first but the little cadet who looked fragile in his eyes made a speedy recovery. Her wound is closing faster, even the broken arm is healing faster. She still can't use her left arm but other than that she will be fine. She's discharged at the right time. Just in time for the branch recruitment ceremony.

"It's (Y/n)!" Connie who was sitting down against the wall took notice of the (e/c) eyed girl. The others quickly turned around and looked in relief as they saw (Y/n) getting better.

"Everyone." (Y/n) greeted them then take a look at them one by one. She was a bit surprised to see Annie being with them. Did something happen?

"Seems like something happened?"

"...Ah, yeah. There were two valuable test subjects of Survey Corps' squad leader being killed." Sasha explained the situation. "We were told to gather with our ODMG, they checked us one by one to find the culprit."

(Y/n) didn't hear that from Hange. She must be heartbroken now. She knew how much Hange dreamed of getting alive test subjects. But, maybe... Eren could replace them. He better be worth it. It's an evil thought but a part of (Y/n) wishes for it. So, everything they're sacrificing won't be for anything.

Besides, it confirmed what Erwin is worried about. There is a spy among the soldiers.

"I see... I wasn't being called nor asked." (Y/n) mumbled.

"Probably because you were in a hospital and many people witnessed you being there. You were out of the list." Connie sighed. Everyone became quiet until suddenly Sasha gave Jean a question.

"...Jean, what made you suddenly decide to join the Survey Corps? I mean... I thought you were scared."

"What? Jean?" (Y/n) shifted her gaze from the ground to him. The boy who always rambling about living in the interior?

"Of course I don't like it. The corps, I mean." Jean tilted his head while putting his hands on his hips.

"Then why are you?" Connie gave him the weird look.

"I may've chosen the Survey Corps. But, not 'cause I'm not afraid of the titans and I'm not going to say something like skilled soldiers have a duty to join the Corps. I'm not in a hurry to die like Eren. Don't lump me in with him."

Then a soldier shouted, telling the cadets to face the stage but Jean continued.

"And nobody convinced me to put my life on the line. This isn't the kind of job you can do without really choosing it yourself!"

"...Speaking of which, I don't see Marco. Where is he?" (Y/n) looked around but she sees no sign of him. Everyone went pale and that's when (Y/n) realized. He's dead.

"...I see."

Everyone started to fall in lines, facing the stage. Before (Y/n) moved to the front lines, she saw Annie looking as apathetic as usual.

"Annie, we may not be in the same branch. Your mind is already set on the Military Police and I'm not going to ask you to change it. I'm just going to say, good luck. Well... It's not like you need it. But, I quite like you. Deep down you're just like everyone." (Y/n) gave Annie a pat on the back with her right hand then she walked to closer to the front line, leaving Annie with her slightly...Dazed expression.

Not long after that, the commander of Survey Corps, Erwin Smith walked into the stage. He began his speech. He started off by refreshing the cadet's memories of the recent attack, reminding them about the terror. He's really being honest about the risk of being in the Survey Corps, not sugar coating anything.