The interview room

~ Akira ~

As I hurtle down marble stairs snaking down the police station, I hope Sachi is actually onto a lead, anything that would make it easier to track Mr Cannibal. The last time I encountered the kid he killed many of my officers. This time will be different, or at least I hope it is.

Ginji is strong, even for a child. But I know what he really is. I'm not stupid like the rest of the station. Demons lurk amongst us. Earth is just a step and a hop away from Hell itself.

Many of the cases I undertake revolve around some kind of demon. Be they goblin, troll, werewolf, or even vampire I bring them all to swift justice. If any news that actual demons lurked in our world was to leak out the press would have a field day, let alone the Vatican.

Can you imagine the expression on those old coots faces if I was to show them what a real demon looks like? Everything they believe in is only half truths, they would set off on a crusade to make sure their beliefs were right. The world would bathe in blood and ruin.

I too am special and I use my Gifts to hunt down these monsters... Still, Ginji is strong and I had my orders not to kill him the last time we met, although I would like nothing better than to chop off his head and be done with the whole sordid business. Bodies are piling up and people are fast becoming aware. Only in the last few months had he covered his tracks so expertly that I was struggling to track him through the old fashioned methods. I was darn close to using my Gifts today to have him located, but by the gods, Sachi may have delivered me a vital source of information.

I swipe my card through a card reader next to a metal door leading towards the interview rooms. I nod to several officers as I rush down the vinyl floored hallway, many doors on either side. It's an empty hall with nothing but doors and officers.

How backwards people had been to build and number these damn rooms. Room one should be at the start, instead, it's at the very end. Two officers dressed in dark blue uniforms stand positioned on either side of the wooden door. They tilt their hats at my arrival. Once more, I swipe my card and open the door.

Inside it is gloomy. Quite to my taste, but the woman on the other side of the table is shaking as she rocks back and forth on the plastic chair, her arms clasped around her legs. Her clothes had been taken away and she was left in what one could only describe as a hospital gown, pale blue and patterned with flowers.

On the wall behind the table is a two-way mirror with cameras rolling on the other side. There are also many hidden microphones about the room.

One glance at this woman and I can tell she's broken; her hair is a matted brown mess of dried blood, her bronzed face covered in dirt. Her eyes are like pools of darkness that just want to suck you into the torment she was living in.

I take a seat and pull out my cigs. When the woman looks at me I offer her one, but her head shoots back down so that she is staring at her chest. Sachi has definitely brought me someone close to Mr Cannibal's latest victim, but perhaps she was too close.

Sighing heavily, I take a puff of my cig and remain quiet whilst I wait for someone to bring me a case file on this girl. I don't have to wait too long, as Sachi bursts through the door, more coffee in his hands, carrying a file with a gleaming red bound cardboard cover that will no doubt tell me who this woman is. Coffee spills across the polished floor of the interview room as Sachi struggles to place the two plastic cups on the table.

"Are you always this clumsy, Sachi?" I ask, even though I don't really want a response. I just wave him away instead. Sachi bows shakily as he leaves the room and I take a swig of the coffee he brought me. Ugh, he really doesn't know how to make a coffee to save his life.