Chapter 1

Pocket park was filled with laughter and screams as children flew down the snow-covered hill, chucking small snowballs at each other or building tiny walls of protection. Two sisters, the littlest one and only four, giggled "GO FASTER!!" as they few down the sledding hill.

The oldest sister a skinny dirty blonde with most of her hair hidden behind a white pom pom hat was not as excited as her little sister mostly due to the upcoming object.

"SYD GET OUT OF THE WAY!!" I yelled at my twelve year old sister.

As our sled neared a collision she had to leap to the left in order to stop us from taking her feet from under her. Of course this only increased the laughter of the four year old Adi.

As soon as we were at the bottom Adi jumped up and started tugging on my arm asking to go again.

"Ok, ok but you have to let me get up silly goose" As soon as a stood up I was pelted in the back with two reoccurring snowballs. "Brittany you jerk!"

I turn around seeing a red faced Sydni trudging towards me with snow stuck in her braids and melting on her face; she had obviously landed face first in the snow trying to avoid us.

"Syd you know I didn't mean it" I say with my hands up trying to calm her down

"Ya just like I don't mean to throw this snowball in your face!" She yelled not calmed by my words. I look at the snowball and could see its a little more icy than the last two. I really did not want to get hit by that.

"Ok...ok...how can I make it up to you sis?" I asked as I looked around, hoping to spot my mom coming toward us to stop her. Sadly her familiar purple coat was nowhere to be found. What could be found though was the concession stand, and the idea of supplementing my sisters anger with her obsession. "Do you want some hot chocolate" I offered meekly and stopping my sisters charge.

"Deal" and with that she dropped her weapon. Well that was easy

"Can I have some too?" piped in Adi, not phased by another fight between her sisters.

"Ummm...I'll share one with you?" I suggested. I had some money from shoveling a few places yesterday but at seventeen, I didn't have much of a chance to build up my piggy bank, so affording three hot chocolates, even at $2 a piece was not going to happen. I had movies to see, friends to hang out with, really important things.

So we followed our noses, smelling a stronger odor of popcorn and chocolate as we got closer to the line which had formed around a small little hut, the Snack Shack. It took awhile due to our bulky snow pants even though we were following a well packed down path, but it worked out as the line had almost completely died down by the time we arrived. We quickly grabbed our drinks and found a place to sit in the snow and warm up with the tasty brown liquid.

It wasn't long before Adi was satisfied pulling me back to the sledding hill. I regrettably complied, it was a lot of work going as fast as a four year old who wanted to be picked up to get back up the hill. By the time we got to the top she was already picking her trail, a fast track with two large jumps three boys had built earlier in the day. I sat down in my pink plastic sled and helped my sister sit down on my lap. Handing Adi the string and telling her to hold on tight I counted down and gave one big push.

'Man these kids made a good run' I thought to myself hardly having to adjust our sled with my hands as we came up to the first jump. We flew into the air, I was starting to think we would fly over the second jump, but soon we came down hard and the wind was knocked out of me. I hope I didn't break my sled or my tailbone. By the time that I had recovered we were in the air again soaring the rest of the way down the hill.