Chapter 7

Thirty minutes later with a short pleated black skirt and white knitted sweater I looked like the adult that I was expected to be for dinner at Lava. As my red converses hit the bottom steps I started to have doubts about what was on my bottom, what twenty minutes ago seemed like a perfectly reasonable way to hide a little extra padding now seemed like the stupidest thing I had ever done!

I did a quick 180 to go back upstairs and put on more appropriate undergarments when I heard footsteps behind me.

"There you are, we need to get going or we will never make it to any stores before our reservation." my mom said

"Ok mom I am almost done, I just forgot one last thing in my room" I tried to sound like a normal person and not hiding anything. Wait how quickly did I turn. I smoothed down my skirt as I slowly turned to face my mother.

"Ridiculous. You look wonderful hunny. I already put your purse and phone in the car, your coat is by the door, and your hot seat is ready in the now warm car. So let's go, let's go." My mom was now pushing me towards the door as her heels clicked behind me.

I knew there was no resisting, that by putting up a fight would only lead to questions and likely discovery, if I had not already been.

I threw on my white peacoat that Santa brought me last Christmas, adding to the layers to hide my secret.

I quickly jumped into the passenger seat, trying to calm my heartbeat and slow my breathing before my mother could seat herself behind the wheel of her Subaru.

Putting the car in reverse my mother looks at me with a smile. "Ready?"

All I could do was nod my head, for if my mouth felt like dry cement and I didn't think I could open it.

With the radio on it made me thankful for two things, my mother had good taste in music, and I didn't have to talk as I focused on not freaking out as much as I was in my mind.

By the fifth song I started to relax, even enjoy myself. This goodnite was pretty comfortable after all, it dug into my sides a lot less than Adi's pull up but still added a bulkiness that I couldn't understand why I loved.

While we were stopped at a stop light my mother looked towards me, seeing me smile and shifting in my seat. "I feel like I have not seen you this excited since your 4th birthday party at the Jungle Junction." holding back an amused giggle. "So what store should we hit first?"

"I am not sure, let's just start at our normal part of the circle and see if anything catches our eye as we walk" I suggested

We soon arrived at Three Rivers Crossing mall, and our luck provided us with a parking spot right next to the door. Life must be giving me an early birthday present.

Right as we walked into the brightly lit interior with bright colors, screaming that the 90s were still strong. I found a cute striped top and mid length skirt that was much better placed in the current times while window shopping and made a quick turn into our first store.

After almost two hours, and a couple trips back to the car we were in our last store. My mom noted that a few of my jeans were starting to become torn and those that were not were starting to become capris. I couldn't argue with her; my ankles at school this week were a little colder than I would like.

The store was the typical teenage hot spot, plays top 40 a little too loud, a girl at the counter having one to many bracelets on one arm, and the smell of perfume and cologne was just below the legal limit. I started to browse the stack of denim, looking for my size and style. After grabbing one high waisted and one acid washed I made my way to the dressing room.