Chapter 11

It was a typical Monday morning, I woke up after hitting snooze a few times to get dressed, shower, and eat before heading out to the bus, hopefully for the last time. The plan was to head directly to the office to pick up a pass so that I could park Blueberry in the student lot. I was so excited, I could not wait to tell Jess and of course offer to give her a ride. We did not talk yesterday, I was too afraid but also angry. How dare she demand that I tell her everything. Sure we have told each other everything over the last ten years, me wetting the bed, both of us starting our periods, or even the time that I had a dream about our 8th grade math teacher Mr. Fitz. But friends did not need to tell everything, especially if that something was bound to end up destroying the friendship and my life. She will understand, we have never been mad at eachother for more than 24 hours, and I am sure things would not change today.

We made it to her stop, I could see her green coat that I told her always went well with her eyes and her curly red hair pulled back in a ponytail. She stepped up on to the bus, I raised my hand to help her find her way, but just as I did I saw a glare I had never seen before. She quickly turned into the first seat which was unoccupied, obviously the events from Saturday night had not faded like I had hoped. I brought my phone out, thinking that I should message her and start the mending, but quickly forgoed and instead started up a playlist. I kept glancing up at the front of the bus, hoping that I would catch Jess looking back, but she never did.

When we arrived at school I had my book bag ready to catch up to Jess. Each song I listened to brought back memories of the horrible concerts we forced my parents to sit through. I could not just throw that away, I am sure Jess would not want to either. She was off quick, it was easy since there was no one who could have stepped in front of her. I was not as lucky. At least three freshmen stood up in the rows in front of me and waited for their friends to exit with them. The slow shuffle was agonizing. Each step I took, Jess took an additional four towards the school doors. I had to make it to her. Hitting the pavement as she reached for the heavy purple doors that had Viking Pride painted above it, I yelled her name as the door closed, so either the doors blocked my call or she chose to ignore it. I started cursing myself for bringing home books I never opened over the weekend as I ran through the doors to catch up to her. I turned the corner to see the freckled face redhead I so desperately wanted to talk to; standing next to Caitlyn Turner, one of the girls from my nightmare.

This was not completely astonishing, they were both on the cheer squad with each other. However, Jess always knew my fear and hatridge of the T.K.C. group, I had always thought she shared those same feelings and just tolerated Caitlyn.

Turning on my heels before I could be noticed and headed to my locker. It seemed the halls were louder than a normal melancholy monday. It seemed that girls were vastly more excited of the bunch. As I stood there putting my locker combo in I could overhear a group of juniors that were a couple lockers down.

"I had to do a walk by, after what Victoria said. She was not wrong. But it doesn't matter, he is a senior." Said the blonde one.

"Well that is not going to stop me, I dated a senior last year; what would stop me from dating one this year." Cockily announced the girl who was currently doing her makeup in a locker mirror. I think her name was Leah.

I threw my book bag into my locker, grabbed my history textbook, since that was my first class, and headed to get the job done that I was looking forward to all Sunday.

It never feels normal walking into the principal's office, this might have been my second, maybe third time in the dated office, its equipment 10 years past its prime. I was a good kid, I never needed to come here. The only reason the man behind the door knew my name was because he bought a house from my mother when he came to this town five years ago.