Chapter 8

Why has no one invented a time machine yet? It can't be that hard. A simple program, a few wires, maybe a little unstable matter and a really smart girl. I could really use one. I want to go back a week, but I would take a day or even a couple hours.

Sydni denied any involvement with the wet pull up, saying that she still had more than enough upstairs. After some instances from my mom that she would not mind, my sister ran up to her room to grab her pack and threw it in front of my mom. My mom was confused, and did not speak for what seemed like 10 minutes as I waited for my name to be called. I needed to get out of the room. If I left too fast I would like to draw attention to myself and that was the last thing I wanted, but I did not want to stick around for too long.

My dad being the oblivious wonderful man he always was, tried to cut the tension in the room. "So who has the keys?" Looking at my mom and then at me and Adi, like there was a chance we could have them.

My mom shook the daze out of her head. "Why would any of us have it dear, weren't you the one who picked up the car from the dealer?"

My father reached into his coat pocket pulling out two sets of keys, one for his car and one which still had the dealer's silicone key tag attached. "Well would you look at that!" giving a wink towards Adi. "Shall we go for a drive ladies?"

God I did not want to be in that car packed in the back seat with my sisters as I looked out the window not daring to look straight in case my mom decided she needed to check her rear view mirror and used her mom powers to read my mind. The whole time my heart was pumping my head swimming. When we got to the dealer to pick up my dad's car, I quickly volunteered to go with him giving a lousy excuse that he would probably get lost if I didn't. He wouldn't talk with me about the wet pull up my mom discovered, forcing me to divulge my deepest secret to him. How could I be so stupid to forget that Adi was back to diapers. I buckle up as my dad turns on his car and changes the radio station away from the kids music station on his satellite radio, opting instead to go for the classic eighties station, The Hair.

"So are you excited for tomorrow, Bunny" my dad asked before hitting the first blinking red stoplight. I smile at his use of the pet name he gave me when I was younger than Adi. Despite the fact my dad had failed to live up to my expectations of no talking I decided that this conversation could not hurt.

"Ya Jess, Jason, and I are all going to go to Vigneti for dinner, I am not sure what else she is planning though. But knowing her it will be perfect." I told him as we started going again. I was excited, as I always am with my friends. But after this night, I just wanted to get out of the house and away from my mom. I felt guilty not wanting to be around her, after everything she had done for me today, it was truly the best day I had had for a while, that was until I realized my mistake that was.

We got home before my mom and sisters, I told my dad that I was tired and would go to bed early.

I had barely closed the door to my room before I collapsed to my knees slowly curling to a ball with my back to the door. All the emotions I had been hiding from my mother decided to come out between the green walls I called safe. Tears wetted my cheeks as my chest moved unsteadily. I was not sad, I was terrified and angry at myself why did I have to be so different. The confusion that I had been putting in the back of my mind for the past week had come to the front full force. My stomach started to ache, as I continued to think what could have happened. I heard my sisters come in, both of them having no control over their volume and continuing a song they must have been listening to in the car ride home, something about a dancing monkey. I needed to get into my bed and hide before one of them tried to come in to continue the karaoke party. I crawled my way forward, each knee scraping the ground as all my energy went to not making noise and drawing my mother's attention. I pulled myself onto my bed and crawled under the duvet cover. I realized I had not taken my clothes off, but I was to tired to care, beyond my socks which were pulled off with my toes.

I heard footsteps outside my door and held my breath as I heard the handle turn.

"Brittany? Are you already asleep?" I heard my mom whisper over my sisters fighting over the words of the next verse of the song.

I could hear her footsteps as she walked towards my bed. I made sure to stealthy wipe any water that rested on my face hoping it would be enough to keep her from trying to wake me..

"Looks like you are, never thought I would have seen you in bed this early again. Seems like only yesterday you were excited to stay up past 8pm. You may be becoming an adult tomorrow, but you will always be my little girl" my mom continued in her barely audible tone. I blinked a tear out of the corner of my eye as my mom started to leave the room.

I wanted to yell for her to come back, to explain to her that I WAS the one who used the pull up, that I WAS not ready to grow up, that I WAS the weird one who wanted to wear a diaper again.

But I couldn't do that, never confess that, for if I did my life would be over.

I cried some more, each drop of salt a drain to my life until my eyes blinked closed for the last time.