chapter twenty one

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄𖣔༄from an spark to nothing________•________

from an spark to nothing
________•________

"Good morning, ladies!" The greeting resounded through the place causing Bella to jump up and down immediately, delicately releasing the cup of tea she had between her fingers.

"It's too early to deal with it," she complained, laying on the chair in frustration. "Couldn't you have chosen a better escort, lady mother?"

Catelyn gave her a disapproving look even though he had heard her very clearly so that no resentment would come to her. What mattered least to her at the time, however, was to hurt Miller Nightfall's fragile feelings.

"My lady" he greeted, kissing delicately the gloved hand of his hostess. "I have received less warm greetings than those, don't worry."

Bella rolled her eyes in disgust. "And I cannot imagine why."

Catelyn and Violet shared a look full of both slight mischief and mockery. The languid smiles on their lips made Bella want to start an argument but she remained silent.

"Miller, you look very handsome," Lady Catelyn said with a smile that decorated her with slight pride. "College suits you."

Miller was no longer the same boy Bella had seen a few months earlier. He had inevitably become the man he was meant to be. Tall, handsome, and insightful as was typical of his family's traits. He had become uniquely slender and a haze of curiosity, wit and seduction enveloped him, making his charisma and charm even more noticeable to the eye. He wore a tailored black gabardine suit with a red tie that stood out from his perfectly impeccable white shirt. He had his black leather shoes polished and shining in the midday sun with the laces with a perfect double knot (as she usually had them) and his dark hair illustriously combed. Between the folds of his suit, a golden watch stood out and owed him the aspect of a young adult with such little time in such a long life.

"Yes, well. We all try to get used to it. These are new times," he said with one of those warm, charming smiles.

Lady Catelyn smiled with a nod. "Definitely. I hope everything goes according to your plans, dear."

Miller glanced at a certain individual not too far away with a languid smile. "I hope so too, my lady."

Violet greeted him with a faint smile, "My mother insists on this absurd event because tradition is of the utmost importance to her."

"It is not absurd," refutes Catelyn, driven by a burning desire to defend her cherished belief. "It is... to appreciate tradition."