chapter five

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄𖣔༄im way too bad at goodbyes_____•_____

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄𖣔༄
im way too bad at goodbyes
_____•_____

"I'm sorry to bother you so much."

Gilbert had stayed in Springfield for a couple of weeks after the funeral. He had made a strong and very determined decision, and the Hastings sisters had supported him without prejudice.

"It's all right, Gilbert. You don't have to worry, you can stay here as long as you like."

"It won't be for long, Violet. I've left everything ready at home and I'll be leaving right away" he said as he put his last belongings in an old trunk that belonged to his father.

"Do you know where you're going already?" Violet investigated, helping him put the things away.

Gilbert looked up, and after too much time in pain, Violet could feel a certain illumination caused by an illusion that had not yet been discovered. She rejoiced internally for him, it was time for him to escape from the tormenting doom in which he had been plunged.

"i don't know yet, but the world is wide and so are the options, don't you think?" he replied, inspired and certainly excited, more than Violet could have anticipated.

Violet laughed with such an answer, "If you say so."

At that moment the door opened with joy and a contented Bella emerged behind it. She hung her hat and coat on the rack, shaking off the frost from her clothes before entering the immaculate room that her mother so carefully preserved.
Gilbert smiled broadly in her presence.

"Pardon my tardiness" she excused herself as he approached them with her basket on hands, "I went to visit the Cuthberts. They are having a hard time. Anne needed me."

"Anne needed you?" Violet asked, impressed. She was aware of the recent growth of this bond of friendship by the time they were starting to share together, but she did not think it had that much depth in such a short time.

"That's right" Bella proudly responded, "She needed me."

"Well, you make quick progress, don't you, Bell?" commented Gilbert almost in a mocking tone.

" You wish you were in my place" she refuted, "You won't deny it to me."

Violet could not help laughing at the propriety of the comment, and Gilbert found himself shaking his head in dissaproval. There was every certainty in that insinuation that no one wanted to deny it.

"Well, I've got something for you" she came up, and from her basket she pulled out several gargements that had an apparent good condition, "Matthew has donated some of his clothes to you and these vests are my brother's, after all, I don't think he'll be coming back for them. Take them, they're yours now."