chapter fourteen

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍𖣔༄the heart wants what it wants_____•_____

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍𖣔༄
the heart wants what it wants
_____•_____

The Pantomime as much as Christmas had been somehow successful. Putting aside certain facts that made it a little dramatic, though if we give it deep thought, what is a story without a little tragedy? Knowing that, Bella knew she had experienced festivities as they should have been.

The beginning of January was a season to be thankful. The New Year rose brightly before the inhabitants of Avonlea as the snow squat and slight lags of the green grass could be noticed under its cold platinum cloak. Bella was certainly grateful, and although selfishness was not a quality of her own, she had to admit that it was due to the facilities her mother had bestowed upon her in the last days; more like an act of redemption than of self-taste.

She had to admit she was happy to find the freedom behind the barriers that had been imposed on her from tender age. It was a little luxury she could brag about with subtlety, of course, as long as that was allowed.

Now, on her way to Charlottetown with her closest friends, it felt strange to have those freedoms that would allow her to explore a little beyond what was already of her knowledge. Writers were right, freedom can be a bitter sip when experienced after a long imprisonment. It was certainly what she lived in as she went away without that fear that she would not return but only depart for an early return, a journey of innocent intentions.

"I'm surprised your mother was the easiest to convince. I remember she not often allowed you this kind of debauchery" Diana commented with a dissenting gesture on her face.

"It surprises me, too. I suppose Miller has done her well" Bella replied, the lost look on her hands on her lap, "It still feels very strange to allow me this kind of...luxury"

Diana, Poppy, Cole and Anne shared a glimpse of dissatisfaction with each other, intrigued by the anguish of their friend.

Anne posed a hand on Bella's icy hands under the thin fabric of her gloves, her bare hands were warm as the touch of a sunbeam in spring.

"Well, just think about the educational yet fun adventure we're involved in" Anne smiled, "Come on Bell, smile a little. I'm sure we will have a lot of fun. There's a whole fruitful experience ahead of us"

Bell tried to smile for Anne, but she was sure her smile wasn't entirely authentic, though everyone pretended to believe her.

Bella was more than sure that more was happening with her mother than her painstaking efforts to allow heding redemption for her cruel acts of the past.

She just wouldn't find out until she got home again.

________•________