Colors

Sugawara's POV

I always got used to waking up to a blank ceiling, walking down empty hallways, having an oxygen tank right beside me,and having the thought that one day I'll be dead is always there.

I always hated talking to people. They always pitied me. They always were so..self cautious of what they talked about. It's like talking about death in front of me was a curse. But when you're born with COPD, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, people look at you differently. Doctors and nurses say I'm one of 'the rare ones' because of my age of this diagnosis. Most patients who are diagnosed with this disease are at least over the age of fifty. I'm twenty two. But I'm not the youngest. The youngest is-or was...sixteen. So I guess, I am the youngest now.

(A/N: Before I start, Kyonichi and Kakeru are OC's I made up. So just roll with it.)

"You never do anything here do you?" Kakeru yawns and tosses a fry into his mouth.

"Like there is anything to do around here." I roll my eyes and chuckle before taking a sip out of my milkshake and cough.

"How can you just stand this place? It makes me feel...sad." Kyon adds. I just look around my room. It's filled with art and color.

"I like to imagine myself like this room. Out there it's...plain and empty. In here, it's a mess. It's colorful. Free."

"You're weird, Wara. It's like you don't care that you're here." I shrug at Kyon's comment.

"I mean, it's my second home."

"Yeah, well, we got to get going. We got school early tomorrow." Kyon is majoring in law and Kakeru is majoring in engineering. While, I'm here reading the same book over and over again.

After a few hugs and goodbyes I sit down at the foot of my bed. I always hated the word goodbye. People always said, "goodbye doesn't mean forever." But I disagree. Every time someone said goodbye, it made me think they knew I was going to die tomorrow. And I think Kakeru and Kyonichi know that.

Daichi's POV

"Uhm, hey, do you know where room 115 is?" I ask, looking around the room to see patients and families.

"Visiting?" I show her the papers and nod.

"Just down the hallways to your left."

"Thank you."

"Sure thing!" She smiles as I walk down the hall. I see the big sign. COPD? I look back down at the papers and see the age as twenty two. How can a twenty two year old have this disease?

I knock on the door and the male voice shouts back, "come in!" I look up to see him. He's young,about my age,silky grey hair, thin,he's beautiful. I look back down to explain what I'm here for.

"Uhm- here's your health papers and requirements." I hand over the papers.

"Thanks!" He smiles, a wide smile. I give a soft one but he doesn't seem to pay any mind to the papers. He puts them on top of several papers by the door.
I look around the room and realize it's colorful,bright, unlike the rest of the hospital.

"I have a few..uhm personal questions." He looks back at me, the grin never leaving his face.

"Shoot."

"How do you have COPD at such a young age?" He looks up at me and smiles, the same smile. He puts his hand over his mouth and I hear small giggles come from him.

"I-I'm sorry but..it's not a personal question. It's a medical question." He smiles. I just look at him and he continues, "the doctors and nurses say it's pretty rare to have COPD in my early twenties but it's possible. I just have the unluckiness of having it early in age. It gets kind of lonely here, actually." He looks out the large window. How can he be so comfortable talking about it?

"But I've grown close to the fact that I will die soon. Tests don't help." He gives a soft smile, "any more questions?" I shake my head.

"You don't have to pity me. If anything, I hate being pitied. It makes me-" a  knock comes from the door as it opens slowly. A tall women looks in, looks exactly like- I didn't get his name. I glance around the room and spot a name tag, Sugawara Kōushi. It sounded similar to mine.

"Uhm, I should get going. Goodbye, Sugawara." I give a soft smile and wave goodbye to both the women and Sugawara.

But was this really goodbye? Or just a see you soon?

——— ————— ———

The end : )

hope you enjoyed : )

It's hard to keep the first chapter short. So, sorry : )

Words: 795

Finished- August 11,2020

Vote

Comment

Share