xxii. twenty two

DIFFERENCE!

richie tozier

things weren't looking good. after all was said and done, eddie and i were rushed into the nurse's office. she had given eddie his emergency inhaler, as it was difficult for him to breathe. he was still crying, scared for his life almost, as if he were going to die.

"eddie, i'm right here." i said, clenching onto his hand. he gave me a soft smile back, giving me a kiss on my nose. "thanks, rich."

i was told to leave many times, by the nurse and the principal but i refused, not wanting anything bad to happen to eddie. even when his mother showed up, i stuck around. and unfortunately because she was here, eddie had to go in an opposite room and talk to her.

eddie kaspbrak

richie had waved to me and gave me a soft smile before i was sat in a room by myself with only my mom. i knew things weren't going to end well.

"what happened to you, eddie dear?!" she exclaimed, engulfing me in her embrace. how would i ever explain anything if i couldn't breathe?

"some boys hurt me.. but don't worry, i'm okay. richie is too." i assured her.

"i bet the boy got you into this, so he doesn't get in any trouble." she said, furrowing her eyebrows.

you're so stubborn, mom! i wanted to say to her, i wish could've said it. my eyes felt heavy as i wanted to leave this office and run to richie and have him take all of my pain away. but, of course, that wasn't the case; i was stuck in this room for the long haul.

"this isn't richie's fault, mom.." i said, shyly, in a mumble to be exact. she wasn't going to listen to me anyways, only believe what she wanted to hear.

"then why am i sitting in this room in the middle of the school day? you cannot tell me this isn't that wretched boy's fault. i knew he had wicked intentions from the moment i laid my eyes on him. i mean, you have horrible taste in friends but really eddie? i had higher expectations for you and this is the standards you set for yourself? disappointing." i couldn't take it anymore.

"quit talking about him like that! richie has done more for me than you've done all my life! i mean, sitting here and complaining about every minor detail one of my friends makes. i have tolerated it all my life, but not anymore. you will leave my boyfriend alone, mom or i swear i will leave the house and never turn back." i had this whole other side come undone and honestly, i'm glad it did, since i've never had the courage to ever say this.

"boyfriend?!" she shrieked. "you know what, we're going home and you can pack up your things because we are leaving this town right away!" she grabbed my wrist, tightening her grip around me. thankfully, the nurse and the principal were keeping watch and saw her actions. they burst through the door, grabbing ahold of my mom. never would i see the day where she would lash out on me. i pushed her over the edge, just as she did to me. richie rushed to the door, standing there with glossy eyes. i ran out of the room and right to the door where he was standing, wrapping myself around his lanky figure.

"eds," richie breathed out a sigh of relief. i could tell he was worrying just from the pounding of his chest. his heart felt like a song by in my ear when i felt his chin touch the top of my head.

time skip

i didn't go home, at least not my house. i finished out the rest of the school day until richie took me to his house. we were watching tv in his living room.

"eddie, are you sure you don't need to go home?" richie looked down at me in his lap, him sitting up on the couch.

i sighed, pushing myself up to meet him face to face.

"yes chee, i promise." i snuggled into him, breathing a sigh of relief.

"if you need anything, please let me know, spaghetti." he kissed my forehead quickly.

a silence fell into the room, it was making me feel sick.

"i'm sorry i got you into all of this mess. y'know, with bowers, with my mom." i said, sighing. i sat up, facing him once more. "i meant to tell you about them hurting me but i didn't want to make anything worse." i said, holding one of his hands.

"eddie, you have no reason to apologize. what bowers and your mother did and what they keep doing isn't your fault. and i'm not mad because i probably wouldn't be here with you if had told me." he said. i'm sure he was implying that he would have done something dangerous. "i love you." he let the words escape his mouth. this was the first time he had ever said this, either of us had ever said it. i felt my stomach fill with butterflies, as if they were real. he avoided my gaze quickly and his cheeks flushed to a dark shade of crimson.

i brushed my hand onto his cheek, giving him a small peck on the cheek. "i love you too." i smiled. he finally looked at me in the eyes, smiling this time.

"are you sure you want to go to bill's?" he asked,  motioning his head to the stairs.

"yes, chee. i wouldn't want to worry them." i smiled. "maybe another time, silly." i tussled his hair.

author's note!

i always forget to update, whoops 🤷‍♀️