𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

(A/N: I wanted to mention that in the prologue River still identifies as a girl as he is only 5 years old and doesn't know about the LGBTQ+ community but in the rest of the book he is non-binary.)
______________________________

Mr Davenport POV

It is a calm afternoon with not much traffic, lots of birds chirping and a slight breeze. I really should have brought a jumper with me, it's cold.

I walk down the street noticing all the shops, houses, and businesses I've never noticed before. I always drive to the supermarket but this time I wanted to walk, and get away from Adam, Bree, and Chase. Those three are driving me crazy.

I walk past a small building with a sign saying Lory's Orphanage. I look at the front garden to see lots of small children playing together with some teenagers on the steps talking to each other.

"Thank you, River." I hear a lady's voice say from somewhere in the garden. Looking towards the voice, there is a young girl with brown hair in a bob cut about 5 years old talking to an older lady over the fence of the orphanage.

"That's ok Mrs. Corewell." The girl smiles brightly as the lady takes out her phone and shows it to the young girl.

The girl stretches out her hand towards the phone and I think I am seeing things. I think I see a bolt of Electricity shoot out of her hand and zap the phone. The girl pulls her hand back from the phone.

"Wow, Thank you sweetheart. I will see you tomorrow for another play date." The lady reaches down to the girl giving her an awkward hug over the fence before walking away and entering the house next door.

The young girl smiles and waves to the lady before going back to playing in the corner away from everyone else.

"Excuse me, sir," I turn around to see a woman approaching me with long brown curly hair and wearing a Lory's orphanage uniform. I realise I had stopped walking and my mouth was agape.

"Are you alright? Can I help you with anything?" She asks kindly.

"Yes, I'm fine. I will be on my way." I answer. She smiles before looking at a boy who has scraped his knee. I look back to the girl in the corner on her own, singing to herself.

"Um, actually," the lady looks up at me.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering, could I talk to that young girl." I point to the girl in the corner. The lady looks at me worriedly. While telling the boy to go to another one of the staff in the garden.

"Yeah of course. She hasn't done anything has she." The lady asks, opening the gate and leading me to her.

"No. I would just like to talk to her." I reassure her. She stops a few meters away from the girl and stops me as well.

"Her name is River, and I should warn you she isn't like the other kids. She's different and she might not say much as she is pretty quiet when meeting new people."

"That's ok." We continue to walk up to the girl.

"River, this is ... sorry I didn't catch your name?"

"Donald Davenport." I smile at the girl. She looks up at me with golden brown eyes and smiles shyly.

"He wanted to talk to you. Is that ok?" River nods.

"Ok I will leave you two to chat. Come and get me when you are done." The lady smiles before leaving me and River.

"So, your name's River. That's cool." After a couple of moments of awkward silence. I look at what she was playing with. She was drawing some of the flowers in the flower bed in front of her.

"You like drawing. Huh. That is fun. I would try to draw but it would just come out as a scribble." She giggles at me before handing me a pencil and a piece of paper. For the rest of the day we sit and draw. We do not talk at all but that was ok.

Eventually the lady came over to us again and told us that they had to go inside but I should come again another day because she had never seen River click so well with someone.

"Bye River. I will come again soon." I smile at the girl and turn to leave out the front gate but before I leave River runs up to me and gives me a hug at first, I am shocked but return the hug.

Over the past two weeks I have been going to the orphanage and hanging out with River. At first it was difficult, she would not talk to me but soon she started to say things while we hung out.

Today I walk up to the orphanage to see River drawing in a colouring book with a glass over water next to her because it is a hot day. River goes to change pencil colour but knocks over her water and spills it all over the book.

Instead of getting upset that her book is ruined she waves her hand over the book and droplets of water float up to her hand where she waves them back into her glass.

I stand there for a second in awe of what I just witnessed. "Mr. Davenport" The lady I met the first day I came to the orphanage greets me.

"Hi Miranda."

"It's nice to see you. River cannot stop talking about seeing you again. I don't think I have ever seen her so happy." I smile at the comment. I walk over to River.

"Hi Mr. Davenport." River smiles happily.

"Hi River." I smile back. I look down at the pages of her book to see them completely dry. How is that possible she knocked her water on to it?

After a bit of talking and drawing I decide to ask her about what she did.

"River, I saw you knock your water on to your book but now it's completely dry. How?" Her eyes widen.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She giggles. I give her a stern look which makes her sigh.

"Fine. You promise to keep it a secret?" I nod at her.

"Pinkie promise?" She asks, giving me a serious look. I nod at her again and pinkie promise. She leans to whisper in my ear.

"I have superpowers." She whispers before moving back covering her giant smile with her hands. My eyes widen. How is that possible?

"What kind of superpowers?" I ask. She extends her hand to her glass of water and it starts to float out of the glass and hovers in mid-air she waves the water back into the glass.

"What else can you do?" I take out my phone to video it but it is only on 5% battery.

River sees this and extends her hand again towards the phone. Small light blue sparks fly out of her hand before a bolt of electricity flies out and zaps the phone. I watch as my phone battery jumps from 5% to 100% in a blink of an eye.

I look at River wide eyed. River goes back to her drawing of a cat. "I also fixed your watch." River tells me, drawing on some whiskers. I look down to my watch which was broken moments ago: the metal had a large dent in it, but it is now gone and looks brand new.
____

It has been a few months since River showed me her superpowers and I have adopted her. Her smile spread across her face and hugged me extremely tightly when I told her.

Today is the day I take her home. I have told her everything she needs to know. We walk into the house with her jumping up and down in excitement.

Before we head to the lab though, I tell her she is bionic that is why she can do those cool things. I also tell her she is going to have 3 bionic siblings named Adam, Bree, and Chase. She gets so excited she makes the lamp next to her explode.

"Sorry" She giggles. This is going to be an adventure.

•_•

☽☽𝐕𝐎𝐓𝐄☾☾

☽☽𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓☾☾

☽☽𝐅𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖☾☾