𝐒𝐈𝐗 || 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

It's been a few days since the dance. I can't stop thinking about me and Chase dancing. I am in the lab with the others training.

"Okay, guys. The next phase of your training is handling extreme climates. So we'll frost Chase, bake Bree, and submerge Adam. That's not part of the training, I just got one of those carnival dunk tanks and I can't wait to try it out."

"What about me?" I ask.

"You know what River, you can skip training today." Mr. Davenport tells me.

"Yes!" I celebrate.

"Okay, Chase, I'm setting your tube on 'Antarctic.' If it gets to be too much, just give me a sign." Chase walks in to his capsule and we watch from outside.

"Bring it!" Chase shouts energetically.

"Hey, that's not fair. I want to be abused by weather." Leo whines.

"Leo, if you really want to be abused, try standing over here next to Adam's morning breath." Bree tells him.

"I don't have morning breath. It smells like that all day." Adam grins.

"Leo, these guys are genetically engineered to handle these kind of climates. You're not." Davenport informs Leo.

"I can handle extreme cold."

"Leo, you get brain freeze from chewing mint gum." I say looking at him. A phone rings drawing our attention away from Chase in his capsule.

"Davenport. What?! Well, that's terrible! I mean, that's awesome, but that's terrible! I- I gotta do something." Yells through the phone pacing the lab.

"What's going on? What's so terrible?" Adam asks.

"I created the world's fastest train, but now it's speeding out of control full of highly explosive nuclonium towards downtown Welkerville!" Davenport informs us walking to his computer.

"Well, then what was awesome?" Bree asks.

"It's going like 400 miles an hour." Davenport grins.

"Oh My God" I exclaim in shock with the others.

"My entire career is riding or perhaps crashing on this train! I don't understand it! My design was flawless!"

"So flawless you forgot to include an emergency brake?" I snicker.

"No. I never counted on the conductor dropping his papaya smoothie all over the controls and then jumping off the train." Davenport informs us looking at his computer.

"Well, if I were to build a high-speed train, the first thing I would have put in was a cup holder. Oh! And one of those bumper stickers on the back that says, 'I brake for cows.'" Adam grins excitedly.

"When stuff like this happens, they always blame the scientist. This is human error. Scientists don't make mistakes." Davenport rants. We hear a faint tapping in the background. I turn to see Chase in his capsule; basically a human popsicle.

"Chase. Now I have to explain the whole train story again." Davenport whines.
____

Chase is now sitting at the counter shivering wrapped in a warm blanket. I rub his shoulders and arms trying to warn him up.

"The good news is, whenever I invent something, I always create a backup device to support it." Davenport tells everyone.

"As opposed to just building it right the first time." Chase remarks.

"Ya know, I think I liked you better frozen." Davenport retaliates. "My auxiliary decelerator will stop anything-- Ocean liners, freight trains, tanks, eighteen-wheelers, twelve-wheelers-" Davenport starts, listing basically that moves.