Episode V

OBI-WAN

Blinking against the light, Obi-Wan sat up and rubbed his head. An aching pain burned behind his eyes. Yet another headache. These days he always seemed to be some kind of pain or another.

He couldn't recall how what had caused this particular headache. Not Anakin, surely. He was halfway across the galaxy with Padmé on Naboo.

The chamber was bare, occupied only by the bed Obi-Wan was resting on. Two doorways rested at the far side and a large window showing the miserable planet outside took up the main wall.

With a sigh, Obi-Wan swung his legs off the bed. A strange sensation ran though him. It was as if he had been asleep for a thousand years - something he knew was impossible. He flexed his toes as he searched the room for his boots. He didn't fancy the idea of walking around anywhere barefoot, never mind Kamino. There was an eerie feel about the place.

One of the two doors opened into a long hallway. He stuck his head out for look then recalled back inside the small bedroom. Surely the locals hadn't stolen his boots. They had to be nearby.

Thankfully the second door revealed a neat wardrobe area. Obi-Wan found his boots on the floor and tugged them on quickly. There was nothing to be admired about having his feet exposed. His belt and lightsaber were also in the wardrobe, along with his cloak. It had been dried, much to his surprise, and he slipped it on gracefully.

Now, to get some answers.

There was no one to question in the hallway, nor in any of the chambers he passed. Obi-Wan was starting to think someone was playing a cruel game with him, that he had been lead to Kamino to suffer an ill fate, when he rounded the corner and came face to face with Taun We.

The slender alien stood on a balcony overlooking a large area below. Obi-Wan could make out people doing all sorts of activities on the lower level. What kind of business was going on here?

"Master Jedi," Taun We said in greeting.

"Hello there." Obi-Wan forced a smile, not wanting to let his discomfort show. "Might I enquire as to how I ended up asleep? I seem to have forgotten whatever happened yesterday."

"You were asleep yesterday."

Obi-Wan blinked. "Asleep?"

"Some are affected differently by the procedures. You were very tired."

Not liking the sound of procedures, Obi-Wan stroked his beard, deep in thought. The alien took no notice of his hesitation and turned her attention back to the strangers below them.

"These new units are quite extraordinary," Taun We said dreamily. "They have matured much quicker than our other previous ones."

Question - so many questions. But Obi-Wan held his tongue. He sensed something in the Force, something he had never encountered before. It was as if the balance had been undone, and not due to growth in the Dark Side.

Obi-Wan stepped onto the balcony and took a better look at those below. He couldn't make out their faces, but he could see their identical hairstyle and their actions. Some were eating, others meditating or practising their combat form.

"Theses units," Obi-Wan said, the colour draining from his face. "How many are there?"

"Two hundred thousand units are ready," Taun We said proudly. "With a million more well on their way."

Not quite knowing how to respond, Obi-Wan found himself at a loss for words. It was not often that he failed to think of something to say next, mostly thanks to years spent in Anakin's company. He did not like the feeling at all.

"Oh, good," he sighed.